Fox News By Faye

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Faye Fox, Nov 7, 2019.

1. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nov. 11, 2019 0745 hours PST --- Wishing all you USA military vets a wonderful day. Thanks you! Well, I went over and got all the extension cords and timer set up for my friend. I like doing this for her every year so no worries of her grandkids creating an electrical hazard. All they have to do is put up lights, etc., and plug in. I setup for 3 plugins per extension cord. I was so glad she went to LEDs a few years ago. Her grandkids would have so much plugged into one light duty cord, it would feel warm on a very cold day.

Wish I had sometime exciting and/or funny to write today, but I don't and glad to be alive and still moving this cold foggy fall morning.

For our Veterans

2. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nov. 12, 2019 10:57 hours --- Overcast and blah day. Cold also. Nancy has me thinking about my little chainsaw that is just perfect for us older DIY ladies. No gas, no cranking, no tune up, just a battery to charge and chain to sharpen. Like any chainsaw keeping the chain super sharp is critical. It is safer than gas, because when no finger is on the trigger, it isn't running. Here is my current saw. I made the sharpening stand with a 2X4 and a C clamp. I sold off my log bar dog when I sold all my gas saws. No more having to sharpen in the forest, so no need for the bar vise with log spikes.

New Image 99.jpg

3. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I was just going to ask you if you HAVE to take the chain off, or use a vice on the saw, to sharpen it. Will try to make one of those. :cool:

How do you keep the chain from wobbling while you sharpen it?

Bill Boggs and Faye Fox like this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I make sure the chain is the right tension. Do you sharpen your own saw or take it in? Also you hold bar with one hand and push file in holder with the other. Saw shops guys are real helpful showing you how to do it when you buy the sharpening kit from them. Also it is a bit slower, but just a block under the chain to hold it, works great while sharpening. You just have to lift bar to move the next tooth forward.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2019
    Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I've done both. The place I used to take them to closed. I confess I'm pretty lazy about keeping the chain sharp. Haven't used the saw that much recently, until this past year. Just run around the fence a few times a year, and always say, just one more time, and then I'll sharpen it. :(

Got to tighten the chain. It keeps working loose. I'm afraid of stripping the screws. It's a phobia. My dad would always tell me not to over tighten things. "Don't tear it up!" LOL

Bill Boggs and Faye Fox like this.
  6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

ME TOO! I always over tighten everything. Chains get loose with use. Is it getting enough oil? They tend to loosen more if dull. Most saws have tough bolts holding the bar and if you use the right tool, it shouldn't be a worry stripping it out.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nov. 15, 2019 08:57 hours PST --- My new avatar -
    Current body and face with yesteryear's accessories.
    FF avatar 10b.jpg

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I think you are someone I would have enjoyed meeting in person Faye.

9. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

It's a good avatar. I don't have a chain saw and if I did I couldn't sharpen it. I have trouble now days sharpening one of these stainless steel blades on a
    pocket knife. They won't sharpen like a carbon steel blade. Look at a SS blade under a microscope and you'll see why. Glad you're hanging around.

Faye Fox and Nancy Hart like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Bill Boggs the stainless steel blades are hard to sharpen with a stone. I use a knife steel sharpener. The edge isn't as nice, but it works.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  11. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks.

Faye Fox likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nov. 18, 2019 06:56 hours PST --- Thinking about my old cowboy hat I gave away years ago to a distant relative that still ranches. Many of us had our hats creased like our famous rancher and rodeo bronc riding ancestor. There is a company that will custom make and crease this style hat, but the new price is $795 and now get this, if I want the used real deal look, they will throw it in the dirt, grind it around in cow manure, stain it with cow blood, and maybe throw it in a corral full of horses before gently cleaning it, all for an additional $95! I sure wish I had kept my old hat stained and worn from real ranch use. I would probably never wear it, but it would make a nice decoration on my family history wall. The new ladies version that I love! The top crease is not quite right, but that can be changed. I like the smaller brim.
    FF hat.jpg

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Bess Barber and Von Jones like this.
  13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nov. 19, 2019 0557 hours PST or 13:57 hours Greenwich Mean Time ... --- ... Just thinking this morning about what @Bill Boggs said about this section of the forum being the bottom feeders. I thought what a cool group we have here, like an old time country or blues band .... Bill Boggs and the Bottomfeeders. Somehow I feel a sense of belonging to such a kind group. Being a Bottomfeeder does come with responsibility that I hope to fulfill as the days past, seasons turn, and the years fly by.

14. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

We ain't catfish down here .......... were dinosaurs!

New Image.jpg

Last edited: Nov 19, 2019
  15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Nov. 21, 2019 10:52 PST --- Well, my looking for a project in my studio/shop/sheshed took a turn when I remembered a project I started getting all my audio files from the last few years in a collection. I call my collection, "Guitars, Guns, Geldings, & Guys." I am determine to finish it and get it all on YouTube.

Bill Boggs and Von Jones like this.