Frank And Kenneth Strickfadden

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Aug 5, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

In my youth, I digested magazines like Popular Science, Popular Mechanix, and the like voraciously. Once, finding an issue devoted to Hollywood electrical special effects, like used in Frankenstein, I learned of Kenneth Strickfadden, the electrical genius who developed the spectacular props used without hurting anyone. His name has stuck with me my entire life, though I read little more after the early revelation.

Sophomore year in high school, I built a high-voltage rotary switch like Strickfadden's in Frankenstein. My friend Ron entered it as his own build in the Science Fair and took 2nd. Place! I was disallowed from entering, as I was in accelerated curriculum taking Physics that year, and only General Science students were allowed to participate. The rotary switch, powered by an oil-burner ignition transformer producing 10,000 volts, proved to wow the visitors, as well as faculty and student body. Was it dangerous? Yes, could produce burns, but not death.

This evening, not while shaving, but showering, the name Strickfadden hit me after all these years, and I thought, this astounding internet storehouse might just have something. Watch:

This sort of thing mystified me back then in high school, and still does now. When I taught high school Math one year in Missouri, the students were found to be sluggish and only vaguely interested in how Math applied to Science. I got their attention by offering "special credit" to the Senior Class, which had 9 students, if they successfully built with my help a high-voltage Tesla Coil, with the provision that no falling grades be observed. They jumped at the chance. Of course, I knew it would work, but initially some had doubts. School Administration was open to anything livening up the dull, rural atmosphere in a town of 390. My boss, the Principal, was ecstatic (less so when we exploded a hydrogen-filled balloon while making water).

Holding out in the hand a 4-foot fluorescent tube which illuminated wirelessly, or the electrical "streamers" emanating from a pair of scissors held in the hand, totally mystified and I could see would forever grasp these young folks' imagination. The Tesla Coil below is slightly larger than the one we built, not twice it's size. Having it outdoors is wise. Back in my shop in Phoenix, when I fired one up, long pieces of metal stock stored on rafters above, were seen to produce sparks between each other, which might have started the joint on fire!

What does the man feel? Nothing. His caution is theatrical, I think. However, throwing caution to the winds has undoubtedly kabobbled many aspiring madmen!
    Frank

Don Alaska and Ken Anderson like this.