Fruit And Cheese Tarts

Discussion in 'Recipes' started by Diane Lane, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I came across this recipe I wanted to try making, but I didn't have all of the ingredients. Amazingly, I actually have strawberries (rather than the raspberries used in the recipe), because they were on special at Kroger the other day. I don't have the puff pastry called for in the recipe, so I'm going to wing it with pie crust that I'll roll out to be thinner than the usual pie crust would be. I didn't have any of the cheese specified in the recipe, so last night I made a batch of ricotta cheese. A neighbor gave me some huge lemons off their tree recently, and I used the juice from some of them in the ricotta, so it has a nice fresh hint of lemon flavor. So, basically, I'm going to wing it, and use entirely different ingredients and crust, although I'll be using this recipe as my basis. I'm going to make the tarts in a while, and hopefully they'll turn out well. If I like the tarts, I might pick up some puff pastry next time I'm at the store, so I can try that version.

Also, I think I posted a ricotta recipe here before, but I believe that one called for heavy cream, as most of them do. I didn't have heavy cream here at the house either, so I looked for a recipe that only required milk, which I happened to have an abundance of, and here's that ricotta recipe. I think I actually prefer this ricotta recipe, because it seemed easier, although that could just be because it wasn't my first time making cheese.

Attached Files:

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Sounds interesting Diane, do let us know how it turns out.. :)

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  3. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks, @Carlota Clemens, that definitely sounds do-able and worth a try :).

The next time I make these, I will use @Carlota Clemens's dough recipe and see how it comes out. Even though I rolled the pie crust out quite a bit, it was still a bit thick. The tartlets came out very tasty, though. Next time I will mix the ricotta and fruit ahead of time, since that will cut out a step in the process after I've rolled out the dough. I did use an egg wash on it and then sprinkled some red sugar crystals. The fresh ricotta really made these special. I love that recipe, and will probably never use another. I used a small amount of filling, similar to what you'd use when making crab rangoon, about 1/2 tsp (actual teaspoon, not the measuring kind of teaspoon), put a few small pieces of fruit on top, and then folded the edges over like a small dumpling. It's a fairly quick process, and you could probably set them up ahead of time and cover with cling wrap in the fridge until right before you want to pop them in the oven. Personally, my refrigerator is always chock full, and there's no room to do that, but I'm sure some people have room in their fridges to do it.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:)So how did it turn out...I'd like to know too.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I would love to incorporate Ricotta cheese into some Czech Kolache recipe. One of the things my Mother did not school me in.

7. Diane Lane

Registered

They turned out well @Krissttina Isobe. I thought I'd posted an update, but apparently I forgot. I'm not sure if I have pictures or not, but if I can find them, I'll post them here. I just bought more milk and lemons, so I might make another batch of ricotta this week. I'm still not sure what I'll make for Easter dessert, but I also have strawberries, because Kroger had them on sale.

@Frank Sanoica I'd never even heard of kolaches until I moved down here. If you make some, whether with ricotta or not, I'd like to get your recipe and see a picture if you take one. I've never tried making them, but hope so someday. I'd probably make dessert kolaches, fruit and/or cheese, rather than meat ones.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  8. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

*That's wonderful! You're lucky for you can make things from scratch in the kitchen. I on the other hand love to buy it ready made and exercise like heck to be healthy, lol! We just got our strawberries at a local store Don Quiote...it went for 2.99 for a pound of strawberries this past Sun. and we gobbled it all up already. Have a wonderful Easter and what you're planning sounds scrumptious!