Futons

Discussion in 'Shopping & Sales' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 26, 2018.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Futons are a sort of a modified form of a sleeper sofa. They were pretty popular a while back, but I don't think they are, so much, anymore. Maybe, I don't know. I have had a couple of them. They look reasonably okay, they are cheap, portable, and they work okay as a couch.

Not so much as a bed. At least the ones that I had and a couple of others that I have slept on while staying over at people's houses. Maybe for young bodies, they are okay. I can remember when I could sleep on a hard floor without difficulty.

But these things tend to have a bar in the middle of them that becomes increasingly painful as the night goes on. Plus, the padded parts are usually pretty thin. I suppose some of the more expensive ones might be okay but then I'd probably look at another option.

futon4.jpg futon6.jpg futon3.jpg futon2.jpg futon5.jpg futon1.jpg

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter had one I think in Dental school. Ive slept on it, not too bad but I was younger then..

Think my son also had one, slept on that one also.

If I ever have to live in a studio apt, I would probably get a comfortable one...pull out sofas are less comfy in my opinion.

3. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

If I ever purchased a futon I would also get extra padding for it.

4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ken, I slept on a REAL futon for two years when I lived in Japan. It was a simple pad on the tatami floor that was rolled up and put into a closet every morning. As I recall, it was quite comfy, but I was much younger then.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

For over twenty years my bed was a two inch thick twin size foam pad with sheet and covers, then about 15 years ago I wised up, and did an overhaul. Since then my bed has been a High Density 6" inch High Quality Memory Foam Queen Size Mattress /w zip on cover. On top of that is two goosedown featherbed mattress toppers, similar to this ~ https://preview.tinyurl.com/yclerphn
    Then another mattress pad. Over this a fitted real silk sheet. Then covers. I've taken my bed seriously as you can see, and now love waking up in it.

Von Jones likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've had a proper Japanese futon, and also a good quality thick upholstered sofa type futon...I'll see if I can find a generic picture of one the same......

futons-button-tufted-sofa-bed-with-chenille-upholstery-5.jpg Looked like this but it was in blue & white check...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Vinny Waccio

Vinny Waccio Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

We had one for our guest room and our girlfriend used to complain about it all the time. We ended up giving it away and putting in a single bed and a loveseat. That worked out well for her since she only stayed a weekend or two each month.