FX's "The Americans" - Fact or Fiction

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Mal Campbell, Feb 12, 2015.

1. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I've been watching The Americans on FX about Soviet spies in America during the height of the Cold War in the 80s. It makes me wonder if this was really a problem or if it's an urban legend. Did the Soviet's really have spies here who had lived in the US for years, who got jobs, had families and lived in suburbia? Who passed for native born Americans?

I actually worked for the Government back in the 80s and I remember every year we had to go to these security meetings, where they warned us that Russian spies could be anywhere - at the local bar, in a favorite restaurant or even living in our neighborhood. We were given the "loose lips, sink ships" routine, but we never really took it that seriously. We didn't believe that such things were going on.

But now, thirty years later, I keep hearing about it. They've made movies and TV shows about it. It does make you wonder.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Great show. I just finished the second season on Amazon.com, I think it was. I had watched the first season awhile back but when the second season became available, I watched the first season again.

3. Richard Lee

Richard Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes love the series - I watch streamed online (last was series 3 episode 3) - there is also a new similar show called Allegiance

4. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched Allegiance the other day. It looks like it will be interesting. I'm not sure how they're going to "use" their son without him knowing about it. I think that he'll have to discover their true identity. It's interesting that their older daughter evidently knows that they are Soviets, and that she's somewhat on board with it.

5. Ken Anderson

Now that the third season is out, I am re-watching the whole series from season one, episode one. I'll be binge-watching it. As it is, I watch television while I am working on the computer so I don't really have to focus much on the first couple of seasons since I've already seen them, but since that was nearly a year ago, letting them play lets me catch up on it so that I'm not confused. This will actually be my third time watching the first season. It is a very good series, for anyone who hasn't been watching it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

There was a family of spies like this in Canada that was exposed not long ago. I found this story, but I'm not sure if it's the same family I was thinking of. That's some dedication to your mother land to live like that for years and bring children into the world, all while living a fake life.

I love The Americans. I had heard about Allegiance, but then forgot. I'll have to see if it's available for me.

Here's a link to Allegiance in case anyone's interested in learning more.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2016
  7. Ken Anderson

I read a story years ago about a family that had been sent here as agents of the Soviet Union, but who ended up liking it here instead, much like the character in the The Americans considered doing early in the first season, and which seems to lurk in the edges throughout the season.

Diane Lane likes this.
  8. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

The Americans is back! I watched the first episode of the season the other day. I really love this show. It's always interesting to see what happens, and how they weave the story into the time period. It's always exciting, but this season seems as if it's going to have even more intrigue and danger, since they seem so close to being exposed and caught.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Since the series is finished, and I hadn't seen Season 6, I just binge-watched the whole series again, so I've seen the first couple of seasons a few times. If you haven't watched this series, you should. It's very good, and Season 6 wraps things up quite nicely. It's not necessarily a happy ending, but it could have been worse. It may be somewhere else as well, but it's on Amazon Prime.

10. Sir Walter Pasty

Sir Walter Pasty Veteran Member
    Registered

Watched all this series.Given when it was set it all seemed very primitive and everyone on this forum was alive in that period! And it had fellow Welshman Matthew Rhys sounding nothing like a Welshman!