Games - Go, Chess, Checkers

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Dwight Ward, Aug 11, 2020.

1. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

"In The Age Of AI"

Computers vs. people playing Go - pretty scary conclusions. Only one player - the world's best - beat the AI.

I tried to learn Go at one time. It was incomprehensible to me and I went on to other things. In chess I learned to tie up the board with defensive moves and make the game frustrating for the other player, but still I rarely won. I wasn't any good at checkers either.
    I enjoy playing bridge even when I lose. At double-deck pinnocle I'm fair. I'm awful at poker.
    It was inexplicable to me that champion chess players familiar with checkers were of the opinion that checkers was the more complicated. I'm just not a 'game' person.

...except possibly for Crazy Eights. I have a way to cheat that I'm not telling.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  2. Dwight Ward

Registered

In school at Chesapeake College, several of us spent more time playing double-deck pinocle than studying. In one game my side swept the game with no losing tricks. This is pretty rare, I guess. 'G', a Navy vet, rose to his feet shouting 'A Boston! A Boston! with his arms raised above his head. Things like this persuade me that the human race is doomed.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I used to play Go, and enjoyed it, but I wasn't playing against people who were experts at the game. Like chess, you can enjoy the game as long as you're playing against someone who's not way better at it than you are. However, I have never enjoyed chess. When playing against someone who is anticipating my moves and planning their own several steps ahead, while I don't even know what I'm going to do until I do it.

Checkers was a game we played at the hunting camp. Since I grew up in a church where playing cards was prohibited, checkers was sort of our version of cards, I guess. I haven't played in years, though. I haven't played Backgammon in a while either, but I used to love that game. Although I do not believe that playing cards is a sin, I never did learn very many card games, at least not those played with a poker deck.

Dwight Ward likes this.
  4. Dwight Ward

Registered

"When playing against someone who is anticipating my moves and planning their own several steps ahead, while I don't even know what I'm going to do until I do it."

That's it exactly, Ken. In fact that applies to most of my relationships with women. They were playing a game I didn't even know I was in. Is this the 'game of love'? I learned, finally, and ended up.doing better in my later years.

Ken Anderson likes this.