Gary Puckett & The Union Gap

Discussion in 'Music' started by Craig Wilson, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I had three main sounds I listened to on my portable crystal set to wile away many lonely hours at boarding school. They were The Beatles, The Beach Boys and Gary Puckett & the Union Gap. Puckett and the five piece band he founded hit the big time a little after the other two..in 1967. I had just graduated to a teenager and I was so taken by the spectacular vocal range of Gary Puckett plus the special lyrics of the soulful ballads he sung. Also the group's trademark American Civil War look (see below). I lost track of the band after they split in 1971. I had all their hits on the old vinyl records. Greats like. Woman, Woman, This Girl is a Woman Now, Young Girl and Dont Give Into Him. I never forgot them and when I found their greatest hits video on YT a few years back my enjoyment of the Puckett sound was rekindled. I started checking in on his website and discovered that this man, who is now in his 70s, has been touring for decades on the old rockers circuit. He is the only remaining original Union Gap member. What a trouper.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Loved them,.... still play their music today...

3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

this year...2019

Shirley Martin and Bess Barber like this.
  4. Craig Wilson

Registered

Me too. Unknown to me Gary and the current band toured Australia last year. I was surfing the net and saw a clip of a interview he gave on a local morning talk show while in Sydney at the time. He looks pretty good for his age..lucky bugger. His once superb vocal range is waning tho as I heard him on one of his old rocker shows in America last year.
    This is my all time favorite.. still moves me.

5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I had no idea they were still performing. They were one of my favorite groups as well. He had a truly beautiful voice and was very handsome.

Craig Wilson and Holly Saunders like this.
  6. Craig Wilson

Registered

An interesting story about this video clip of Young Girl. Gary was talking about how reticent the band members were about touring the deep south..Alabama I think he said it was.. as their trademark was the Northern (Union) Civil War look and they may end up playing to empty houses. So Gary came up with a brainwave.. carry the Confederate flag with them wherever they played. Note during the clip you can clearly see the flag.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Gary grew up in Yakima, Wa. close to Union Gap, Wa. A very nice guy, talented musician, and still handsome.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They were a great group.