Gasoline Alley

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Frank Sanoica, Feb 3, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

For some reason, Gasoline Alley popped into my head today, and also the name "Skeezix". I avidly read the "funnies" as we called them, sometimes referred to them as the "jokes", Chicago slang, likely. Reminisce at it's best! So, I "Wiki'd it. Some results.....Frank

"Gasoline Alley is a comic strip created by Frank King and currently distributed by Tribune Media Services. First published November 24, 1918, it is the second-longest-running comic strip in the US (after The Katzenjammer Kids) and has received critical accolades for its influential innovations.[1] In addition to inventive color and page design concepts, King introduced real-time continuity to comic strips by showing his characters as they grew to maturity and aged over generations."

Cannot read captions, but the idea is there:[​IMG]
    Frank King's Gasoline Alley and That Phoney Nickel (March 12, 1933)

Skeezix arrives:
    The baby, named Skeezix (cowboy slang for a motherless calf), grew up, fought in World War II, and is now a retired grandfather. Walt married after all, and had more children, ........

[​IMG]
    Young Walt Wallet (r.), 1920

See: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_Alley

Last edited: Feb 3, 2017
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember Gasoline Alley but not sure if I read it or not but knew the minute I saw the name what it was.

Frank Sanoica likes this.