Gender Vagueness

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Sunny Allen, Jan 11, 2020.

1. Sunny Allen

Sunny Allen Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I'm finding it very confusing lately, reading or hearing about someone without having the person's gender specified. This is particularly noticable in the advice columns. It's hard to get a mental image of a situation when someone says, "My husband" without any indication of who is what gender. Maybe this could be improved by having everybody just use the word "spouse."

Even in news articles, lately the journalists seem to be using "their" and "they" instead of he and she, probably at the urging of the transgender movement. I can read an entire article without any image in my mind of the person being written about.

Are we moving toward a gender-neutral world, where nobody is any gender, we are just all "they?" Any thoughts on this?

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I think this will be the case, hopefully I'll be sitting on me cloud looking down and doing this …:rolleyes:

Bobby Cole and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

sI'll have to agree with @Patsy Faye on this. If we end up that way I'll be somewhere else.

Bess Barber and Patsy Faye like this.
  4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Your biological endowment twixt your legs is the determining factor, period.

Lois Winters and Hedi Mitchell like this.
  5. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Regarding the use of "they" instead of "he" or "she"...……….Mrs. Jay, my 9th-grade English teacher, is most likely spinning in her grave. They could probably hook a generator up to her and power the entire high school complex with enough electricity left over to light up a small third-world country.

6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hee hee @Mary Robi - ain't it the truth - I can't keep up with it all, nor do I want to
    Stop the world - I want to get off ! :p

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I still can't get use to having a lesbian refer to her mate as ""My husband." As in Ellen Degenris (SP) and her wife have split.

Bess Barber and Lois Winters like this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've never heard that. I thought they were both "wives." o_O

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't think so. I recently read where some big "Star" and her "Husband" had split. However, I don't claim to be an expert. I didn't read the whole thing, only the headline.

10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

In public I will address tp the best of my ability to not cause discrimination. In my own home or in private conversations two of the same sex people married may be referenced in less appropriate language.
    My house ..my rules.:)

11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Bess Barber likes this.
  12. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

NY Eve at my home a lady brought her KID, Robin, I told her she had a nice looking daughter and clothes looked great on HER all well I thought BUT Robin was a boy with a pink dress on! She informed me that was her son, my reply in my home "well why not dress him like a boy?" Sure would eliminate any negatives said either way, and your sure creating a problem for him/her/or?" Then asked what does his dad think on that, we are divorced, well is he dead? No opinion on his son? No answer. If any negative issues arise from this in my home your are going to be asked to leave, as I don't allow any negatives I can prevent, then found out several others had said something also and mentioned it to her and had words with her on this. The mother-son and her friend left.
    Creating a life long problem for someone either way... His birth name was later found to be Robert. Then more came out the person that brought her said her new HUSBAND was female also. Both left, thinking back also the boy did not interact with any other children that were there, glued to mama. Also reason for divorce.
    She could have prevented all of this and the ever present attitude came out. Wait till he gets in a public school.
    She should have introduced him as her daughter if that's what she wanted him to be.
    Rant over!

Hedi Mitchell and Bess Barber like this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We're being pushed there, as part of an agenda that only a tiny minority of the population thinks is sensible, and that includes those who feel pressured to go along.

Beth Gallagher and Bess Barber like this.
  14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

For me, the dirty laundry of society has gotten so high, someone now throwing a gender neutral t-shirt on it doesn't even seem to matter.
    Morality and what makes perfect sense..........has apparently lost the war.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't care how much eye-liner Bruce wears, HE is always Bruce Jenner to me.

we-amp-039-ve-come-a-long-way_o_7210464.jpg

Tex Dennis likes this.