Go West, Young Man

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bess Barber, Jul 28, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I watched a documentary on the people who migrated to the old west in wagon trains in the 1800's. At my age now, I'm quite sure I wouldn't. However, when I was younger, I knew it was absolutely what I would choose to do if I lived during that period of time.

How about you? Would you have sold all your stuff, packed up your family and headed out west?

images (85).jpeg

2. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The journey would have been as mind boggling and dangerous, as a trip to Mars is today!:eek: It would have been a huge gamble, with the odds not in their favor. Not being a "potted plant", I would probably have stayed where I was, and played it safe.

Frank Sanoica and Bess Barber like this.
  3. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

That is a mature, therefore making sense, response. I'm that way now, but sure wasn't in my 20's and 30's.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

How far west? :)

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber
    The one thing I've always wondered, and still do, is that knowing how much WATER the settlers' animals needed to keep pushing on, and how meager the supply given these vast distances of arid, parched land, how in the world did they manage? Water wagons? Apparently, successful travel depended on knowing the location of water sources. Knowing them how, though? By the stars? No odometers, inaccurate maps lacking detail, no GPS, the folks having enough self-assurance of success possessed GUTS!
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Thomas Stearn like this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin

A "fur", "fur" piece!

Frank

Shirley Martin likes this.
  7. Shirley Martin

Registered

Their guides were supposed to know about water holes, springs, rivers, etc. They were also supposed to know the best time of year for rainfall.

8. Shirley Martin

Registered

I would have gone, let's say, from Virginia to Missouri or Arkansas. Then waited to see how much farther I wanted to go.

Bess Barber and Frank Sanoica like this.
  9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Shirley Martin

So true. What I mean is, it's possible to travel around these parts 100 miles and more, in any direction you wish, and see nary a single one of the sources you mention. Impossible to travel by wagon train 100 miles in a day, or maybe even a week. Check this out:

"The overland journey from the Mid-West to Oregon and California meant a six month trip across 2,000 miles of difficult country. It was also an expensive enterprise. It was estimated that the journey cost a man and his family about $1,000. He would also need a specially prepared wagon that cost about $400. The canvas top would have to be waterproofed with linseed oil and stretched over a framework of hoop-shaped slats. Although mainly made of wood, iron was used to reinforce the wagon at crucial points. However, iron was used sparingly in construction since it was heavy and would slow down and exhaust the animals pulling the wagon.

The wagons were packed with food supplies, cooking equipment, water kegs, and other things needed for a long journey. These wagons could carry loads of up to 2,500 pounds, but the recommended maximum was 1,600 pounds. Research suggests that a typical family of four carried 800 pounds of flour, 200 pounds of lard, 700 pounds of bacon, 200 pounds of beans, 100 pounds of fruit, 75 pounds of coffee and 25 pounds of salt."

Here is a most interesting and complete history:
    https://spartacus-educational.com/WWwagontrain.htm

10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

I am who I am. At 30 I had a Wife & 3 children, and a job. To haul them off into the unknown, would have been a very difficult decision to make. I can't imagine their thought process, in deciding.

....and then there were the Indians....no one has mentioned Indians!

Last edited: Jul 28, 2019
  11. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I would love to be able to say, "Yes I would!", but would I. I have been settled into a good steady predictable comfortable life for 40 years now. I was adventuresome when I wwas young. Traveled the country and lived of my wits for a year,before joining the Marines.
    My first paternal ancestor on these shores boarded a ship leaving England in 1634 as a 17 year old indenture and landed in Massachusetts, built a life and a nation.

12. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

That isn't going west. That is just going to the middle. :p

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

I guess part of the adventure is the challenges and the risks.
    images (88).jpeg

14. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Very good question @Bess Barber. I think I am with you if it guaranteed a better life. Thing is how did you know that was the case. A gamble yes but one worth taking.

15. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

My grandfather was born in 1859 in Winchester, Clark County, Kentucky. When the civil war ended, his family loaded up what they could carry. And with a few other family members and friends they joined with others and migrated to Texas. They finally settled near Albany, Texas at the base of a hill where others had already come due to Indian raid. Fort Griffin was a recently built fort to protect settlers going on further west. The settlement was called the Flat but later took on the name of the fort, Fort Griffin. In the 1870 Cencus, my granddad is listed as a
    Stock hand on a ranch outside of present day Breckenridge, Texas. They moved to better their lives. I'm not sure I could have taken off into the great unknown, unknowing what the the future held.I might have stayed put or gone back east.

Nancy Hart likes this.