Government Funding

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Ina I. Wonder, Nov 18, 2016.

1. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Recently the head of our neighborhood civic club came to me with the information that I was eligible for a home improvement grant of up to $60,000. Like most grants, I'll not have to reimburse any of the funds if I remain in my home for at least five years.

This grant would allow me to get a new roof, upgrade my electrical wiring, re level my home, upgrade my plumbing, and anything else this old log cabin might need.

My 26 year old grandson Bobert also told me this week that he felt he had more opportunities within the city of Houston than what had been available to him in his very small town of Dayton.

Until Bobert came to stay with me, I had grown fearful of living by myself with all mounting crime that this large metropolis is seeing. I had seen the theft of several thousand dollars in the last couple of years, mainly because word had gotten around that I was living here by myself. Within two months of Bobert coming to live here, the theft I was seeing almost weekly, has now ceased.

My quandary now is, what hidden draw backs could pop up. Have any of you ever received any such government grants, and if so, what was your experience.

I would welcome your insight into what you think I need to be looking for concerning such grants.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Hello Ina :)
    So it seems you are considering staying where you are
    Maybe Bobert could look into this for you, we have such schemes over here and they are very good
    I guess you would prefer this to moving .............
    Discussion time with the family I think - wish you well with the decision xx

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

How does the head of your neighborhood organization know what grants you are eligible for, @Ina I. Wonder ? It seems like there are usually personal information requirements that he would not know about to qualify for a grant, especially one that might be so large.
    I think that I would ask him for references of other people who have applied for these grants, and then you could actually talk with someone and find out what your obligations might be.
    If he doesn't know of anyone else who has applied, then contacting the grant organization itself might give you some better answers.

Another inportant thing would be exactly how much that you would qualify for, and whether that would take care of the issues that you mentioned, such as the roof and plumbing, etc. If they only gave you enough to fix part of it, and then you have to still do the rest yourself then it might not be worth it to you.
    You would have to pay for the rest of the improvements in order to live there for the required 5 years, or if you didn't stay, then you have to repay all of the grant money, which might be a huge debt.

This sounds like it would be a blessing if it all works out, and you can get the house repaired, and not have to move ; but I think that it is important to find out a lot more information before making these decisions and applying for the grant.
    There is also the problem that you would still be having to face all of the nightmare traffic problems to drive anywhere if you stay in Houston, and the other problems with staying in the house and the memories haunting you constantly and wearing you down.
    It seems to me that there would be benefits and drawbacks with either choice you make; so this is something to check out carefully, and then look at which will help you the most.
    The likelihood of your grandson going out into the workforce does not seem imminent, from what you have said about his shyness and staying in his room and playing video games constantly; so I don't think that the move is going to affect him a lot if you do still decide to take that option and sell.

If the house qualifies because it is on a historic register, and not because of you, personally, then the grant would also be an excellent selling point for someone who wanted to purchase the house. Someone would be much more apt to purchase the house if they know it qualifies for a large improvement grant.

Diane Lane and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Good reasoning Yvonne

Ina I. Wonder and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith has brought up some good points @Ina I. Wonder . There are also housing related grants available through HUD. I don't recall all of the particulars, but I believe there might also be some via USDA for rural properties. I looked several years back for a friend, so I don't know what's available these days, but it does sound as if it might be worth investigating. Since Bobert enjoys gaming, does he make any money with those skills? He could probably do some testing, and there are also some jobs that pay gamers to play and find weaknesses, bugs, etc. Here are a few links about the USDA programs. Also, some additional information that might help. Here's a link off that last site with information specifically about Native Americans.

WHAT DOES HIP PROVIDE? Interim Improvements: Provides up to $7,500 in housing repairs for conditions that threaten the health and/or safety of the occupants.Repairs and Renovation: Provides up to $60,000 in repairs and renovation to improve the condition of a homeowner’s dwelling to meet applicable building code standards. Replacement Housing: Provides a modest replacement home if a homeowner’s dwelling cannot be brought to applicable building code standards. New Housing: Provides a modest new home if you do not own a home, you may be eligible if you are the owner or leaseholder of land suitable for housing and the lease is for not less that 25 years at the time assistance is received (maybe this is where that person got the $60,000 figure) Here's where this can be found: http://www.bia.gov/WhoWeAre/BIA/OIS/HumanServices/HousingImprovementProgram/

Last edited: Nov 20, 2016
  6. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you @Diane Lane , I will look into the provided links, all information is appreciated.

This old place is still in pretty good condition, but the roof is 17 years old, the electric needs upgrading a bit, it could use a bit of leveling, and the place will need additional plumbing to get it ready for connecting to the utilities that are scheduled to come into the neighborhood soon.

I should be receiving the information this coming week. I've been told that the main requirement are that I must be 65, on SS, own my own home clear of any mortgage or leans, and be willing to remain living here for at least five years, and my death doesn't cause any problems for my heir.

If this grant is real, I don't want to leave my home. I am ready to build new memories, not to replace the old, but hopefully to add to those I already have.

My grandson wishes to remain living here with me, He feels that living here will provide many more opportunities he can not find in a small town of less than 8,000.

All the theft and trespassing I was experiencing stopped within the first month of his moving in with me. I guess in the dark he looked much more menacing than I did. :eek: :p

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

If you do qualify for that amount, you might be able to do something like upgrade your fences, or install some cameras or other security equipment after making the necessary repairs, and maybe add a ramp for later on. Keep us posted, I'm hopeful that it works out. The crime seems to be on the rise in Liberty and Chambers Counties, so I'm not sure you'd have been better off over there anyway. Fingers are crossed that it works out for you :D.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  8. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I for one @Ina I. Wonder would like to know if the information about the $60,000.00 was true...and if you decided to see if you qualified for it?