Granite Flats

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 7, 2015.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

You may have missed Granite Flats, since it isn't a regular network series. Now in its third season, Granite Flats was created by Brigham Young University, of all things, and previously aired only on the BYU-TV channel, which most non-Mormons don't watch. BYU is now partnering with Netflix to continue the series, and it's well worth watching, in my opinion.

First of all, no one in the show is identified as a Mormon, and it's not really a Christian show, although the characters who are identified as Christians on the show are not portrayed as being suspect, and religion does not play a large part in it. I've noticed, for example, that on most network crime shows, once a character is identified as a Christian, you can be pretty sure that that is going to be the killer, or at least someone who should be watched.

Granite Flats is a wholly family friendly show that people of any age might enjoy. The acting and production is very good. It could be a kid's show, in that a four children play prominent roles, but adults are also prominent, and the plots are not dumbed down for children.

If you have watched the Eureka series, by Syfy, Granite Flats will remind you of that, as the characters are just a bit quirky, in the same way that they are on Eureka, although it's an entirely different story line. Granite Flats is set during the Cold War, and is largely a spy show, but with an emphasis on the characters.

The first three seasons are available on Netflix, and the show will continue on Netflix, although I assume that it may also air on the BYU channel.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That sounds like my kind of show. I love watching The Americans. I don't know if it's similar at all, but that is a similar premise and setting. I don't have Netflix right now, but I'll try to keep this in mind for when I get it again.

3. Ken Anderson

I love The Americans too. Although it covers spies in the same time period, Granite Flats is a little quirkier than that, and geared to people of all ages, whereas children probably wouldn't care for The Americans so much. In Granite Flats, the kids have their own investigations going on, as a subplot. The first couple of episodes were geared more to the kids in the show than the adults, so it might be that they intended it to be a children's show, then decided to expand it to reach people of all ages, and they did that very well.

Diane Lane likes this.
  4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

That sounds great, Ken. I actually don't mind watching kids shows, especially ones like that, that aren't all Disneyfied, animated, and vehicles for certain types that will be later promoted in boy bands, etc. I prefer kids in movies and television shows to be more natural, and generally, I'm not a fan of animation. I hope at some point I get Netflix again, so I can check it out.

5. Ken Anderson

It is equally an adults show as it is a children's one, and that would be children ten or twelve or older, at least old enough to follow a story line.

Diane Lane likes this.
  6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I do have Netflix and will check this out, I liked Eureka and was sorry to see it end.