Granola, Does Anyone Else Like It?

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 22, 2018.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I like granola, but it is expensive for just a small bag of it, and it is usually so sweet and dry that it is almost like eating crumbled cookies, with hard little bitty rocks that turn out to have once been a raisin.
    Many years ago, I remember making my own granola, back when the kids were younger, and we enjoyed it as a breakfast, or just as a snack.
    So, I decided to try making some again, found an easy recipe, ad it is toasting in the oven as I write this post. I am adding the raisins, cranberries, and shredded coconut after it is done toasting, so hopefully, they will not be too hard to bite into this way.
    My favorite way to eat granola is to put it over top of yogurt, and then mix it in together; but I also like it with just milk as a regular breakfast cereal, and as an evening snack.
    I think that with the warmer weather coming along, that a bowl of yogurt and granola will make me a good meal. Bobby does not like yogurt (and maybe not granola either ? ) so this will be one of the times when he is having something else that he enjoys and i do not.
    I am also making Bobby some cookies while the oven is hot; so he won’t care if I have granola and he has cookies.....

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

It is an..OK food...if you have enough of your own teeth to chew it up. I could never make a meal off of that even with yogurt. That is snack food :p

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

I have found that if the granola is in the yogurt, then it softens up the granola enough for me to eat it, and it can sit a bit and still be fine.
    I try to make my main meal at noon or early afternoon, so a light meal such as yogurt and granola will work fine for me at night.
    Bobby likes to have his heavy meal at night, so we often compromise and eat around 3-5 which is still early enough for me and late enough for him, plus he has sandwiches and bananas and such if he is still hungry before bedtime.
    I have found that I sleep best when I am in that middle area between being full and being hungry, and the light snack-meal does that for me.
    Each person has their own preferred eating habits, and it is good that Bobby is a chef; so there is no problem with him making his own meals if i am not eating the same thing that he wants to eat, or at the same time of day.

4. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Might I ask...what time do you rise of morning and retire to bed at night?

5. Yvonne Smith

Bobby gets up much earlier than I do, and requires less sleep. He is usually up anywhere between 3-5 AM, and in bed about 10:30; but he often takes an afternoon nap as well.
    I sleep until 8AM most mornings, unless I have to get up earlier for some reason, and I also go to bed at 10:30, when Bobby does. I seldom take a nap, although I sometimes do after we have been to the fitness center and I am tired from exercising.
    What do you usually do, @Gloria Mitchell ?

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I don't hate it, but I don't think I'd buy it.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Yvonne Smith .. mine is questionable anymore. Since last year right before time change sleeping has gone bonkers.
    I go to bed at same time 10-10;30..and i am up 2-3-4-5 in the morning. It has been worse since I got sick in Dec.
    I wake up feeling rested enough, but hate hate hate being awake so early. So, i never know for sure anymore.
    Dr. said stress or depression... no stress to speak of...not depressed for sure. ;)

Holly Saunders likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

I am still trying to see the correlation about when I go to bed, and eating granola ? Anyway, @Gloria Mitchell , I seldom have any trouble sleeping, and usually fall asleep right away, unless I have had coffee (or other caffeine) in the evening before bed.
    I take 10mg of melatonin about a half-hour before bedtime, and by the time we go to bed, I am sleepy.
    Melatonin is a natural hormone that our body makes when it gets dark, to help us go to sleep; but as we get older, our body makes less and less of it.
    I started out with 3mg back when I was in my 50’s, and have slowly increased the amount I take at night.
    It is not like a sleeping pill, so there are no after effects, and is pretty inexpensive; so you might want to try that and see if you can sleep better ?

9. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm not keen on Granola too hard for me... but I might try the melatonin, currently I have to take diazepam to help me sleep and relax my back muscles..

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  10. Yvonne Smith

There is a great book out , called “The Melatonin Miracle”, and it explains completely how the melatonin hormone works in our bodies, as well as why we no longer get enough of it naturally.
    Babies (both human and animals) get melatonin from the mother’s milk when they are nursing; but nowdays, many babies are bottle fed and do not get that important hormone. Our bodies also make it when it gets dark at night, but again, we defeat that by living with artificial lights when it gets dark.
    Melatonin also has some excellent anti-aging properties, so it is worth taking for that reason alone, and the book explains all of this in detail.
    It is best to start out with a smaller dose (I suggest 3 mg), and then increase until you find the amount that works best for you, because each person is different in their requirements, and we make less and less as we age, so it is necessary to increase the dose as that happens.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  11. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks for that Yvonne, I'll have a little research...:)

Yvonne Smith likes this.