Halloween On Oahu Brings Hallowbaloo 2016

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Krissttina Isobe, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Halloween brings each year Hallowbaloo. Right in the middle of Honolulu near Chinatown at the Hawaii State Art Museum (HiSAM) is where the celebration is of music and art. Lots of food, costumes, entertainment and merriment for Halloween for adults. This year Aloha Tower and Chinatown is included for the art and music festival Hallowabloo. Everyone's invited starts October 29 at 4:30PM.

http://hallowbaloo.com/2016/

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

It's really kind of hard to find an "adult" Halloween party going on here. Back in April, we got me a fairly expensive costume (Star Wars/Darth Vader) that was on sale/discount. We had to have some alternations ($$) done on the costume to make it more movie authentic. I have lights on my costume that really make it look like the movie. We both love my costume, but are really having a hard time finding an "older" adult party to go to in order to show-off this costume. There are a couple of party's we can go to, but we have to get a motel room. They're not that far away, but we just don't like driving that much at night (especially after midnight).

I use to have a much cheaper Darth Vader costume, but the armor was all foam. The armor on my new one is all mold-injected plastic. To go with the old Vader/Star Wars costume, we bought my wife a Princess Leia costume. Went to an outside Halloween Party and I couldn't believe how many people wanted their picture taken with me! Now that I have an "authentic" type Vader costume, I'm really wondering what will happen. BTW, we bought my wife a Storm Trooper costume to go with mine. She looks outstanding in it.

I remember, back in 2004, I found a "almost new" in-the-box adult Bat Man costume that fit me very well. Wife made her own Cat Woman costume. Quite the couple!

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My daughter in the past has done a few adult Halloween parties and they were fun. I've been a witch, a sexy pirate
    And a Hippy.

There were a lot of very elaborate costumes at the parties and it was fun to see them all. Some were bought, some made up but all very good.

She went all out in decorating and with the food so it got to be too much, even though I helped. It was quite an expense and too much work for a working mom with 2 small boys at the time.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The ouside party we went to two years ago, there was a dude dressed awesomely as Iron Man. Hands and helmet lite up. Costume had to cost same, if not more, than my new Vader costume. Some very elaborate costumes are worn at parties in NY City. Don't know if she still puts one on, but Heidi Klum use to foot the bill for a very elaborate party in NY City.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I've seen some of her costumes. Haven't heard lately though.

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Gee, how I wish to be there in person to see that event. I'm sure my camera will be busy with those costumed participants. Here in the metro, we are catching up with Halloween as evidenced by the trick-or-treating and some houses are now putting up Halloween decorations in the last 5 or 10 years. From what I remember, kids in our neighborhood have started trick-or-treating 3 years ago. For sure they will again be on that gimmick this year. Here is a picture of those trick-or-treaters last year, they are kids in our block. IMG_6443 orchid.jpg

7. Chrissy Cross

Registered

IMG_6068.JPG

If I could get Pickles to wear an outfit, I think I'd look good as little old Bo Peep. :)

8. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Love it Chrissy ;-)

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Now that I'm looking at the pic closer, the lady sure has a skinny arm!! Or maybe it's the the pic.

Also, look at the boy in the background. :) Maybe he just has to pee.

Diane Lane and Krissttina Isobe like this.
  10. Honey Gee

Honey Gee Veteran Member
    Registered

Just noticed the arm and the boy he he ;)

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  11. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Hallowbaloo sounds like a lot of fun. I will have to wait to see how the money shakes out this month. The local winery is having some kind of Halloween shin dig. Also, I know of another Halloween gathering, but it is a lot further away, the more I think about it, I don't think I want to go all the way up there. If the winery get together is affordable I might go to that. I feel like doing something for Halloween this year, instead of hanging out in the house watching scary movies as per usual. FYI the Rocky Horror Picture Show is on Thursday, we need something campy after the debate!!!

12. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

@Krissttina Isobe will you be attending Hallowbaloo? The neighborhood party people already had an adult costume party, but it seems it mostly consisted of men dressing as women, and everyone getting drunk or high. A lot of the towns and some police forces around here do Trunk or Treats, where people meet in parking lots and the kids trick or treat from car trunk to car trunk, that's where the people keep the candy, and the parents/other adults usually sit there on chairs and visit in between trick or treaters. I think it's a nice idea, because it can be a hassle going to and from the door, especially if you have animals that tend to run out, there are stairs, and/or the trick or treaters are sporadic. I'm not LDS, but I was looking around for examples of trunk or treat, in case my explanation wasn't sufficient, and I found this site/article.