Happy Cinco De Mayo

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, May 4, 2016.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

CincodeMayo—or the fifth of May—is a holiday that celebrates the date of the Mexican army's 1862 victory over France at the Battle of Puebla during the Franco-Mexican War (1861-1867). It is celebrated in Mexico, throughout New Mexico and wherever Mexicans live or congregate in the U.S. I have been to a couple of Cinco de Mayo Celebrations in San Antonio. They are quite a blow out. I don't celebrate the this occasion but it is part of the Mexican history and culture to do so. I say let her rip, enjoy, have a good time as we sometimes do on July 4th. Everyone needs something to celebrate and to remember the old cultures and the old ways.

2. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

A little late but... Most Mexicans I encountered within Mexico were not aware of the significance of the date. But then you would be hard pressed to get an answer as to why a statue of Lincoln is in Tijuana (and other cities).

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Even though this isn't an American holiday, there sure is a lot of folks that will head to their favorite Mexican restaurant and celebrate. Funny that most, if not-al,l of those that celebrate are American decent, except for the Mexican entertainment.

Where we go, the place is packed and local law enforcement is there to direct traffic. We know the Mariachi singer (Jorge) who is there in full Mariachi costume. Excellent singer in Spanish. The side parking lot is roped off for a DJ and chairs for sitting. Towards evening, there is costumed Mexican dancers that at excellent dancers. One darkness sets in, Mexican dancers in Aztec Indian costumes do a Fire Dance, with drums beating.

We have a good Mexican dinner and a couple of margarita's and shots of Tequila. One fantastic evening! This Saturday a couple we know will join us. That will make the "fun" all the more "fun"!! Looking very forward to it.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

It isn't even much of a Mexican holiday. I think it is celebrated more in the U.S. than Mexico. I, however, will not be celebrating. I don't like tequila or Corona, and there is a lot of garden prep work to do.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Man, if you'd go to the restaurant we go to, you sure wouldn't think its not much of a holiday. The people in it are definitely partying and having all kinds of fun. But, Jose Cuervo or 1800 Tequila will do that to a person. Add some hot Mexican Salsa music to it and look out.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Had a ball at the restaurant on Cinco de Mayo. Met the owner of the restaurant and had "by the front door" parking (Handicap). The parking lot is fairly small, so most people had to park down the street and walk to the restaurant. Due to a middle divider, we had to make a U-turn and that's when my wife seen the Handicap spot available and we told the guy in charge of parking and he let us in. Jorge, the Mexican singer, dressed in a Mariachi outfit was there, along with Mexican ladies dancing in beautiful dresses and Mexican dancers dressed in Aztec Indian attire doing a Fire Dance. Quite the evening and definitely fun. Next post is a picture I took of one of the Mexican lady dancers in her beautiful dress.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

To my Latino Friends!

Hal

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I am trying to think who your Latino friends on this forum would be, @Hal Pollner ; so maybe you can just tag them with your posts and they will know who you mean.
    It is my understanding that most Hispanic people do not actually celebrate Cinco de Mayo, anyway, and it is mostly just something that happens here in the United States .
    Maybe someone who knows more about the tradition can explain what the holiday is all about ?

9. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

@Yvonne, On May 5, 1862, the Mexican Army defeated the French Empire at the Battle of Puebla.

This has nothing to do with the Mexican Independence Day.

My Latino Friends are all those who speak Spanish, even if they are Norwegian.

Todos de mis Amigos se hablan Espanol.

Hal

Last edited: May 5, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, depending on our weather today, we will be headed back to the Mexican Restaurant we enjoy for Cinco de Mayo. Last nights forecast came down from 80% chance of rain/t-storm to 20%, but this morning it was back up to 80%. We were suppose to me a couple there that we know, but, if it's raining, or looks like it, they won't drive up and we might not go at all.

This restaurant has a Mexican singer, that we know, and, in the evening, Mexican dancers and, after dark, Mexican folks dressed in Aztec Indiana costumes that do a Fire Dance for the crowd. Very, very delightful.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

True, it is a commemoration of the defeat of the French, but in Mexico, that’s just about all the “celebration” entails. A couple of re-enactments and a ceremony or two but the parties are for the most part on the U.S. side of the border.
    If my memory serves me, the party aspects of Cinco de Mayo started in the late 1800’s in California and was a cross between the Latino’s and Americans.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

I would have enjoyed that evening too - love the music, dresses - everything !

Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  13. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There Was A Bit Of A Clash Between Mexico & France over a Debt.

Will You Eat Or Do Anything Different On The 5th? I Will Enjoy A Good Mexican Dinner.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

When we lived in northeastern Florida, we'd go to a nice Mexican restaurant, called Don Juan's, for dinner and entertainment inside and outside the restaurant.

A man we knew, who was from Mexico, but living in in Jacksonville, would sing songs inside in Spanish. His instrumental music came from a computer and speakers. His name was George and he was great.

The parking lot was roped off and Mexican dancers performed there. Absolutely beautiful costumes worn by adults and children. After the Mexican dancers performed, a dance group wearing Aztec Indian costumes done a Fire Dance. Again, beautiful!

This was such a popular event, local P.D. had to direct traffic. For a couple of years, people had to park across the street in a field, due to the parking lot filled up. We had a Handicap Placard, so had no problem parking in the parking lot.

And, plastic cups of margarita served both in the restaurant and in the parking lot.

So, great dinner and great entertainment! Now that we are living in northern Colorado, all we can look at is the video and pictures of this great Mexican Party.

This was, by far, the biggest Cinco de Mayo celebration in the area.

15. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

Were you named after Cody Wyoming?