Happy Passover

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Steve North, Apr 9, 2020.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

Here's wishing all my Jewish friends a very happy Passover....

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

3. Steve North

Registered

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

5. Steve North

Registered

Thank-you...

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

A very sobering thought just hit me. To mentally visualize someone in your family linage who actually sat and broke bread with others whilst waiting the angel of death to passover their home does bring about a sense of awe.

May your passover be as joyous as it was for the Israelites when the sun rose after that night in Egypt.

7. Steve North

Registered

Bobby...………
    That sounds lovely...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

10. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

A couple of years ago, our Activity Coordinator had arranged to have a Rabbi and his family come to Sunrise and celebrate Passover for our Jewish population. However, we were all invited. So, I, along with with the Coordinator's young son decided to join in the festivities. Most of the service of course was conducted in Hebrew, but very moving. When it came time to light the candles and recite the prayers, the Rabbi asked for volunteers to do this part of the service. Well, everyone just sat there and did not move a muscle. I felt embarrassed for the young man so, I grabbed the son and said, we'd do it. Said Rabbi was delighted. He carefully led us through the lighting and he spoke the prayers in my ear in Hebrew which I repeated exactly as I heard them. After all was said and done, he congratulated us and asked me if if I was Orthodox Jewish? I told him that the boy and I were both Irish Catholics and he was floored. He then said I was welcome to think of embracing Judaism in the future. Later, I informed him that I was appalled that none of his Jewish congregation volunteered to assist him and this was why I rose to the occasion so to speak. He thanked me profusely and told us a job well done.

11. Steve North

Registered

Proud of you Lois...
    Now, just for your information, all my seders are conducted in English.. I conducted many since moving up here and they were all very nice.. Each seder had about 80 people and it was me and my wife (who is catholic) who conducted them.. I got the congregation involved in the reading of the story.. Each a paragraph and they were super thrilled to do it.. Multiple questions after as well answered by me.. My wife lit the candles (I showed her how) and said the prayer in English while I said it in Hebrew..
    The ladies auxiliary did the cooking of the traditional meal with my supervision.. We had a typical seder meal..
    The only thing was the wine.. Some of the people were seniors and on medication, so I used grape juice instead of wine..

Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

This Pesach is a bittersweet one, for me: Many years ago, I had to give up whole wheat matzo because it tore up my GI tract. I was so thankful when I discovered lower gluten, spelt matzo. For the last four years, no problems. This year, big problems! I knew, within an hour after eating my first few sheets of spelt matzo, that it, too, was wreaking havoc on my lower GI workings. Even two days later, I'm still in pain, although very minor.

So-----from now on, I will eat those leavened bread substitutes my matzo-intolerant forefathers ate in the wilderness, and think of them when I nosh on corn tortillas, favored by a lost tribe that went on to end up in Mexico, injeras, eaten by those who became the Falasha, in Ethiopia, lavash, used as a leavened bread substitute by those who settled down in Turkey, Iran and nearby countries, and chapatis, eaten by my distant forefathers in India. ("Fractured History," to be sure. Don't cite it! :D)

Lois Winters likes this.
  13. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

14. Steve North

Registered

Happy Passover Trevalius…………..... Chag Sameach...

I don't seem to have a problem eating matzos, however I can eat gluten no problem..
    What gets me is spiced foods and the horseradish on the matzos at the seder is too much for me..
    Also the chrain on the gifiltah fish is also not for me...
    With the matzos I love making a matzos byre which is a real treat for me... Plain matzos of course, not the egg matzos..

Last edited: Apr 12, 2020
    Trevalius Guyus and Lois Winters like this.
  15. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Chag sameach to you, as well!