Has The Fed Ex Scam Contacted You Via Text Or Email?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Lon Tanner, Aug 19, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

The supposed message from Fed Ex says they have been unable to deliver your package and to click onto the attached link to track your package. Doing so is not in your best interest.

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have seem those before. They often come to my yahoo email, which is not the one that I use for any kind of important email. I get these kinds of scams that say they are from UPS, FexEx, Apple, and Amazon.
    When you click on the name of the sender (which links authentic), it them shows some long email from gmail (or similar) and not from the company it says it is from at all.
    When I get those, Yahoo mail has a place to designate it as spam, so that is what I do.

3. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I got a call yesterday saying I'd been overcharged by my electric company and to wait to give my information to get my refund by check. If I'd been overcharged the electric company wouldn't use this way to contact me about it. In addition, they'd just credit my account instead of sending a check.These scammers target older people. Curse their evil souls..

Hedi Mitchell and Frank Sanoica like this.
  4. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've not seen any of those.

Any time I get link in an email that is purportedly from a known business, I hover over the link to see if the address matches the company's website. The address that the link takes you to appears on the bottom of the screen when you hover over the link:

Email URLs.jpg

A mismatch or weird address will immediately tell me if it's spam. Even if it seems to be legit, I'll go to a fresh tab in my browser and go into that business' website through their main page, and see if there are notifications in my account.

I have Yahoo, and if the link or email looks suspicious, I forward it to Yahoo's spam email: phishing@cc.yahoo-inc.com

Every email provider should have a similar place you can forward such emails to. I keep Yahoo's in my Contact List so it's there when I need it.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have gotten e-mails like that...trash or report as spam. A bigger problem for me is getting emails from companies they say I have subscribed to...but have not. Then when I go to unscribe it wants me to get a quote instead...and you hv to write them to be deleted!

John Brunner likes this.
  6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've never seen that, and I get a lot of junk. That stinks.
    But crooks in Sri Lanka are beyond the reach of the Better Business Bureau.

The recent one that infuriated me is a site called "Next Door." It's a set of forums that aggregates members based on their neighborhoods. You only have access to the forum for your neighborhood based on your address. But it uses your real name and address (or "just" your street name) "so people know you are really a neighbor." I forget what the sign up process was that enticed me to do such a stupid thing, but I know what enticed me to sign up in the first place: you put in your address (or street name), and there's a blurb about reported crimes. You sign up to see the "reports," and it's a pile of crap. There were no such crimes. As in your example, Gloria, you have to send an email to get your account deleted.

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

I have been on Nextdoor for years...not sure where you find a problem there. It a very helpful site and informative. I would take it over FB any day.
    And yes the crimes are real..here anyway.They are even reported by the police dept.

Yvonne Smith and John Brunner like this.
  8. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

These last two weeks I've been getting messages from 'Mega Millions' stating that I won a prize. Deleted every one of them. Send me a check that doesn't have 'non-negotiable' and a expiration date of 365 days on it then we can talk.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. Dwight Ward

Dwight Ward Veteran Member
    Registered

I'll cash your funny checks. You don't mind monopoly money do you, Von?

10. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Hmmm, I can just add that to the four games I have now. :p