Has Your Fuel Price Gone Up Yet?

Discussion in 'Energy & Fuel' started by Yvonne Smith, Feb 4, 2021.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When Biden took office and announced that he was shutting down the Keystone pipeline and putting all of those people out of work, it seems like people started noticing that gas prices were going up within a week.
    Ours was a t$1.99 at Sam’s Club before, and only went up a few cents after that.
    Today, we went past the gas station just down the street from us, and gas there was $2.18 a gallon , so it is definitely going up.
    People on social media have been reporting that some places fuel has already gone up as much as 40 cents a gallon.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

It has here. I'm not sure how much, though.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

What does Keystone being shutdown have to do with it?
    #! the pipeline was not even in service yet.
    #2 the pipeline was designed to carry high sulfur sand crude to Texas to be pumped on to tankers
    #3 not a single quart of that oil is or was destined for domestic use
    #4 No on shore refinery will touch that crude,too nasty ,too polluting.
    #5 those "jobs" are temporary construction jobs, pipeline worker is a fairly specializes craft. the workers laid off from Keystone will be on another pipeline contract within days or weeks.

Please tell me how Biden is responsible?

4. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

YES much in places to 75%

5. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yes they have gone up quite a bit. Someone told me the prices usually fall after sundown. ?? Though I enjoyed watching the gas price plummet when covid just hit. Definitely it was not good for the economy but good to cruise around.

6. Hugh Manely

Hugh Manely Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Gas cars are going to get very cheap in the next few years. Everyone is pushing the electric cars, and before long you'll be looking to buy one.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  7. Susan Paynter

Susan Paynter Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They will definitely be good for the environment, for sure!

8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I would actually love to be able to do that. My son and his wife both have a Prius, and they love them. My daughter has the Mini-Cooper electric, and it is so cool. She can run on the battery, and if she is getting low, she can switch over to gas fuel and recharge up the battery. At night, she just plugs it in and lets it recharge.
    Our old pickup is probably the last car we will ever own, but I think that the electric ones are wonderful.

Susan Paynter likes this.
  9. Tex Dennis

Registered

Wonder just how well they pull trailers, zero interest here at all in them also I have never seen a recharge station not cost ever for it or the time it takes to do it, yes fuel went up overnight again here, this will impact me personally with my income and salary. So to make a living and ends meet I will be making less unless charge for services more, probably lose a few clients and bring home less. Really off to a great start there. Never saw anyone haul a trailer of rounds with an electric doubt it would do it, what about those who drive distances almost daily Bull haulers? Get ready to welcome some huge price increases over half of the vehicles here are pickups most 4x4's dont think many will be thrilled in my area at all about it...

Last edited: Feb 5, 2021
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Be patient Tex. Electric vehicles we have are just a step past the toddler stage. Their usefulness is limited right now,but the technology flies, they will become more common.
    I think that for long haul it will probably be some kind of hydrogen/electric set up.

11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

But what do we drive in the meantime? From what I read, it will be a long time before electric cars become practical. Plus, what do we burn to make electricity to run the electric cars? They will have to be recharged somehow.

The gas prices have gone up because of President Biden's policies on fracking and drilling. We will soon be dependent of middle east countries for oil again. That likely means we will have to become involved in more wars to keep our supply coming. That means more of our young men dying in fruitless wars. And we were doing so well under President Trump. :(

12. Tex Dennis

Registered

The timing of the increase did not take much to understand and out local ag (no tax) fuel dealer said we have not seen anything yet I firmly believe we are in for some bad roads ahead this year with biden and all was going so well in that dept but what did I expect exactly this and more. I have not seen anything positive yet here at all quite the opposite really, I did a quick look around today locally about half our vehicles are 4x4 trucks most of the rest are 4x4 SUV's so really doubt if many here will welcome them easily, my worry would be running out of power and stranded somewhere and cant just plug it in thin air can you, if I had to buy another vehicle tomorrow it would be another RAM Dodge 4x4 truck. I had 2 but recently sold 1 older one. Instant sale ! Still never saw a charging place at a gas station or anywhere. Guess it would be find for city dwellers that never work from a vehicle much really using it. I REMEMBER FUEL ABOUT 2 YRS BACK UNDER $1

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Almost immediately after the election.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it's basically just supply and demand. Demand for gasoline has been low for the last year while people stayed at home. As with any other investment, oil prices set now are about what investors expect in the future.

“The biggest contributor to rising oil prices is the hope in the market that the COVID vaccine will help global fuel demand recover.”

Rising oil prices mean higher gasoline prices.

15. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Currently, the lowest price in my High Desert area is $3.19 per gallon.