Haunted Places

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Val White, May 9, 2015.

1. Val White

Val White Veteran Member
    Registered

Visited Chambercombe Manor a few weeks ago. Despite all the warnings felt nothing but peace and tranquility in the house.

Have you been to any so called haunted places and did you have any experiences

2. Ruth Belena

Ruth Belena Veteran Member
    Registered

Years ago I was on a guided tour of a big country house in the north of England, with just 3 other people and a guide. We entered a small room with a big fireplace. While we were standing there listening to the guide, I felt very uncomfortable and really did not want to stay in that room. After moving into the next room, where I immediately felt better, the guide told us that the small room we had just left was reputed to be haunted. He had never seen or felt anything himself, but on several occasions people had told him that they could sense a presence in that room.

The ghost was said to be that of a young nun who was locked away in the room because she had attracted the attention of a young man.

I took some photos of the gardens and lake outside the house and when I got them back, I noticed that there was a nun in the background of one of the pictures. She was obviously a visiting nun and not a ghost, but all the same it was a spooky coincidence. It could also have been claustrophobia that I experienced in that room, but I did get a similar feeling in a much bigger room in Osborne House, a former home of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert.

3. Jenn Windey

Jenn Windey Supreme Member
    Registered

i have been to all sorts of places that were suppose to be haunted. I only recall once feeling so uncomfortable that i wanted to just leave a place. Otherwise ghost hunting is sort of boring. There is a historical building that was built in an old school in Rochester NY. I went with a group from WNY Paranormal back in 2004, the story says it is a small boy. We set up in a room that had a whole bunch of different items in glass display cases. The camera was on a tripod and there was a sensor under the tripod that would go off if anything got near, the sensor took readings in a 360 degree radius.

Somehow that camera on the tripod suddenly flipped right off the top of this glass display yet the sensor never went off. It felt weird, cold and creepy. It is the only time I ever felt like I might want to leave a site. Now the camera was an IR video camera, all it picked up before the fall was a slight haze then you see the falling view. Very weird.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  4. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never actually been in a haunted place myself. I do know someone who believed the house they were renting was haunted. They told me that there were times when they saw a young boy appear from out of nowhere. They said that the boy didn't seem to mean them any harm but it did leave the feeling uneasy. I tend to believe what they were saying was true, I do think there are restless spirits out there who haven't crossed for some reason or another.

5. Miriam Turner

Miriam Turner Veteran Member
    Registered

One time I went to go photograph inside a church, way past after hours. The woman who worked there led me to the chapel. It was pitch black and she couldn't find the light switch and as I was standing by the door frame, I had saw what I believe to be is a shadow person catch in my eye range. The shadow person seemed to be of a little girl. I was terribly scared and felt uneasy and asked maybe we can try again later. It's kind of sad though thinking about it as well because of the fact that there was a vast graveyard that looked like it was not taken care of in such a long time. I had walked through there and wanted to wish the spirits there safety and that who ever they were I would still try my best to keep them in my thoughts. It's sad when graveyards become forgotten. Maybe that little girl was trying to get attention that she wasn't getting in the graveyard.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Until a couple of years ago, we had a kitty by the name of Bird. She was born feral in a vacant house next to one of our ambulance stations in Texas, while I owned an ambulance company. After feeding her for years, since she was a kitten, we took her in when we moved from Texas to Maine. She lived to be twenty-two and even at that age, she was a toy player. Since she didn't get along with any of the other cats, who never did accept her into the household, she played by herself with toys, although I'd play with her a lot too. Even while she was feral, she was always finding things that could be made into a cat toy, and then persuading the other cats in the neighborhood to play with her. As a feral, she was popular. She would collect her toys, and store them in one place, sometimes changing the toy location.

As a house cat, she claimed every cat toy as her own, and would go around the house picking them up and storing them away until she wanted to play with them. Included in her toys were pretty much anything she could pick up, including pens from my desk, my wife's jewelry, and empty cigarette packages that she probably dug out of the neighbor's trash.

One of her favorite pastimes was to drop toys down the steps, letting them bounce nearly to the bottom, and then go dashing after them, often carrying them back up the stairs so that she could do it again. It was common to hear things bouncing down the stairs. She had such a playful spirit.

Because we have land up north, a few hundred miles away, we sometimes rent a place during the spring and summer. Apparently, there was a fox in the area, because we lost Bird one day, and didn't learn until afterwards that a fox had taken another cat in the area. Before we knew what had happened to her, I let Bird's daughter (Obadiah) out, since she would often come back with her mom when she didn't answer my call, and Obie never came back either. Sad.

A couple of weeks after we lost Bird and Obadiah, I was at our house in Millinocket, as I would drive here to check on the place at least once a month, making sure everything was all right, mowing the lawn, and generally trying to make the place not look deserted. I would spend a couple of nights here by myself, while my wife was still up north.

Unlike my wife, who must always have background noise, when I am alone, I often like things to be quiet, so I was at my computer one night with no radio or television on, when I heard something bounce down the stairs. I went to the stairs to find a cat ball lying on the bottom of it. I thought perhaps it had been near the edge of a stair, and maybe a car going by or something vibrated the house just enough to cause it to fall, so I went back to the computer. Not fifteen minutes later, I heard bouncing on the stairs again. Another cat toy had come to rest most of the way down the stairs. After I went to bed, twice during the night, I heard cat toys bouncing down the stairs, as evidenced by my finding them on the bottom of the stairs the next morning.

I don't know that I actually believe that the ghost of Bird was playing games on the stairway that night because it seems pretty crazy, but neither do I have another answer.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2015
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Very interesting story! There are a lot of stories like yours on Dead Files with Amy Allen. Have you ever watched Dead Files on Travel Channel? I look forward to it every weekend. It really seems like that little Bird came back home to you. What a fantastic thing if it really is your Bird! Here on the island of Oahu we have haunted tours and the like.
    *from tripadvisor.com: http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attracti...ws-Oahu_Ghost_Tours-Honolulu_Oahu_Hawaii.html

*http://mysteries-of-hawaii.com/home

We have paranormal investigators on Oahu too just to give you an idea that here in Hawaii we do have paranormal activity too:
    http://paranormalsocieties.com/state_list.cfm?state=hi

Good luck and there is a Saint for pets Holy Saint Francis: http://www.americancatholic.org/Features/francis/blessing.asp.
    Hope this helps you and your mystery guest at your home. Good luck!

Krissttina Isobe/oahuwriter

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I really don't want to talk about this incident because it did not happen to me but to my sister 2 months ago. Her team in the hospital where she works had a team building trip to Baguio City, a 6-hour drive from Manila. They stayed overnight in an old accommodation house managed by the government. The going was good until darkness set in.

After dinner, they had been experiencing something eerie like the odor of a candle that was noticed by some but not by everyone. And then the sounds in the other room that was supposed to be empty. They were 12 in the group, all female so you can imagine their fear. I am not easy to believe such incidents. However, they have photos to show. And I had seen those photos they took of the house with ghost-like figures. It is real scary, those photos.

9. Linda Mansfield

Linda Mansfield Veteran Member
    Registered

I grew up in a little market town called Devizes, England, UK. The Black Swan was a well known pub as one of the rooms was supposed to be haunted. Many years ago a fire broke out where someone was killed. People who have since stayed in the room say it gets unbearably hot and a figure wanders in the passage outside.

At one time there were guided tours because there was so much interest but I think they have since been cancelled. I knew the landlord of the pub back in the seventies and although he had never seen anyone he said the room did get unnaturally hot.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

This just happened last weekend to my sister and her family. They went to Baguio City, and stayed in hotel after arriving at midnight. In the morning, everything was fine as they had breakfast in the nearby fastfood. They roamed the place and had lunch in a restaurant. Before going back to the hotel, they passed by the so called Haunted House My nephew Rojan who is 21 years old had been to that haunted house. To emphasize, he was pointing to the said house while saying he had been inside, that is was a gallery now with paintings.

When they reached the hotel after 5 minutes, Rojan started to have loose bowel, he would be going to the toilet every minute, literally. After 5 trips to the toilet, Rojan felt so weak. My sister how is a nurse and her husband who is a doctor were scared because their son was exhibiting severe abdominal pains and was already having difficulty in opening his eyes. The ordeal started at 2pm and by 5pm, they decided to leave for Manila because my brother-in-law has been suspecting an organ problem. What is his son need surgery? It is better in Manila.

Upon leaving the hotel, Rojan looked so weak that they were praying to reach Manila. A few kilometers away from the hotel, Rojan opened his eyes and started talking. He actually was back to his old self, quite talkative. That was it, he was well just like that.

Here's the photo of that haunted house that we took in 2013... IMG_7444 Bguio haunted house.JPG

11. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

12. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I was about to start a thread on hauntings and haunted places, then I realized that I had posted about Bird, a story I have told here.

I don't think I have ever been an overly superstitious person, or one to give a lot of credence to ghosts and ghost stories, although I am sure that things do happen that we don't have ready explanations for.

As a child, I could walk past the graveyard at night when I was with friends without any trepidation, but if I was alone I ran past the graveyard. The graveyard was on the other side of the highway and railroad from where I lived, and I didn't have any close friends in that part of town, so I rarely had a reason to walk past the graveyard at night, anyhow.

Besides the story of Bird, which I told above, I once thought I saw a friend of mine who had been killed in a traffic accident when I was fourteen or maybe fifteen. I was in the backseat of the car at the time, but he was not a really close friend of mine. A week or so later, I thought I saw him in a couple of fleeting moments.

In much the same way, shortly after we moved into our house here in Millinocket, which was built in 1910, I thought I saw a woman who was dressed in clothes from the 1930s or so. It was just a flash, then she was gone. The history of our house is uncertain and often contradictory. I have been told that it was originally a boarding house for millworkers, which would make sense given that it was one of the first houses built on this street, and only a couple of blocks from the mill gate. I have an old post card that shows only our house and the larger one across the street, which was surely a boarding house, and a couple of other houses that were under construction. But I have also been told that it was a single-family home first, then converted into a three-unit apartment building, which is what it was when we bought it. I tend to believe the latter because it doesn't seem to have been built as a boarding house. Two of the bedrooms were in the back of the house, in what had certainly been a large porch that was later enclosed, a part of the house that has its own foundation, separated from that of the rest of the house. As there was no town at the time the house was built, the town office has nothing on record for it, although our deed states that it was built in 1910.

One person died here, but that was a young man who got drunk and fell out of the upstairs window. There were, and still are, several old canning jars that someone had canned many years ago. Could they have been canned by the woman who I caught a glimpse of? I've never seen her again.