Headache Or A Pain In The Rear

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Bill Boggs, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I had to jump my car for the second time Friday. Wouldn't start. Jumped it and drove to an automotive store and had the battery checked. A guy checked it, said the battery was good, needed charging; needds driving say up to moore and back (20 miles). I droves down the street two miles, had a set of tires installed. Drove another two miles and filled up with gas, then three mAny words of iles home. That was Friday, this is Monday. After lunch today my car wouldn't start. I know, I was thirteen miles short. Do we really think thirteen miles would have made any difference? I don't know but it's a pain in the reared. I used to take something like this in stride; now its a big deal. Its a headache of the everyday variety. Except. I haven't encountered this type problem in forty-five years. Thought maybe we had invented batteries that would not discharge with all this talk about electric cars and driverless cars. Anyway, its a problem and i can't tell if a pain in the rearend or a headache.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Depends on which end depended upon getting where you were going.

3. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Which solved only that the battery is good. Is it getting charged? The alternator is working fine or the idiot light would stay on, which also means the belt is okay. Granted a light can fail, but is rare.

So the question then becomes whether the battery is actually getting charged. Is it a dead cell? The guy at the auto store got a reading above 12, so it is not a dead cell. That leaves the possible issue with the wiring.

Here is an article... https://www.yourmechanic.com/article/symptoms-of-a-bad-or-failing-battery-cable

I have experience with this issue.

It does not require much corrosion to reduce the current flow. Most people look only at the actual contact surfaces and ignore the hidden corrosion within the wiring strands. Go back to the Auto store and ask for a battery terminal spray and then get directions on how to use. BTW, don't overlook ground wire.

In my case, I completely replaced the cables and problem solved.

This might not solve your problem, but you must confirm the integrity of the battery and its charging system. Once that is confirmed, then you can move on to other possible causes.

Frank Sanoica and Bill Boggs like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Registered

Thanks, Harry. Will follow up.

5. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

If the cables don't fix the problem, then it might be interior lights, glove box or even the trunk. You can see the interior lights, so no problem. As to the glove box or trunk... if you have a smart phone or anything that records video, just start it to record and plop in the trunk/glove box, etc. wait about 2 minutes and then check the video. Just make sure the camera lens is not obstructed.

If that doesn't solve the problem, then it starts to become aggravating, imo.

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Harry Havens
    Excellent advice! In extreme cases, I have peeled back battery cable insulation from the terminal heading away from the battery, and found much of the copper strands reduced to green powder. That stuff just doesn't conduct electric current! Frank

7. Bill Boggs

Registered

I've had my cables checked out. My mechanic says they are good. The alternator is working good. The battery is suspect. The alternates does not charge as the old generators did. The generator would charge a battery in five minutes or only a few miles of driving. An alternator will not. If a battery is run down, you need to charge the battery with a charger when one drives a vehicle as little as I do. I putting on a new battery tomorrow, prorating the old one which should cost no more than sixty-five bucks. I hope this ends the no start problem. Appreciate the advice received here on this forum by @Harry Havens and @Frank Sanoica. Thanks, guys.