Health Benefits Of A Cold Shower, What Do You Think?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Yvonne Smith, Jul 30, 2019.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I found this little jewel of information on Facebook yesterday, and thought it was pretty interesting, and maybe worth even considering, if it actually has all of the benefits that the meme says it has.
    I was thinking about it last night, and I wondered if maybe I don’t get at least some of those benefits when I go swimming at the fitness center ?
    I usually go into the hot tub for at least a moment or two, and then into the chilly water in the pool. It is not like being in really cold water, for sure, but it is definitely colder than a warm/hot shower would be.

60DCFD04-0ECF-4046-BCB8-8E8FBDDD508E.jpeg

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Until I was married, and Michelle insisted that I buy a hot water heater, I didn't have one. Well, I had one but it hadn't worked since I lived in the house. I was living in the Rio Grande Valley of Texas, where temperatures were in the 80s during the winter and approaching or exceeding 100 the rest of the time, so buying a hot water heater was not a priority. I could boil water for dishes.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Except in the winter here in Maine, where even though the heat is up, there is a chill in the air, I will often take a cold shower. Actually, I usually take a hot shower, but finish off with a cold rinse. If I'm in a hurry and don't feel like waiting for the hot water to find its way to our upstairs shower, I'll sometimes take a cold shower.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I always take a freezing cold shower right before getting in the pool... it's a shock to the system every time, but it prevents the pool from feeling so cold when I get in... , and I do it again when I get out to wash off the chlorine..

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Tried that...once. Aside from totally waking you up not sure about the benefits. I may experiment. I do know splashing the face with cold water works best before applying make up.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm skeptical of all those benefits from simply taking a cold shower, but I'm sure it couldn't hurt. The only time I take a cold shower is after a hot shower when washing my hair. I slowly adjust the water temperature till it's as cold as I can stand, just to give my body a "cool down." I get so hot when blow drying my hair that I like to start from a cool point. :D

Don Alaska likes this.
  9. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Yvonne Smith I don't care if it would make my lashes grow and firm up my butt......I'm just not a cold shower kind of person.
    download (42).jpeg

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Me, either, @Bess Barber . I don't even like to wash my hands in cold water. The closest I ever came was once when everybody needed a shower at once and the hot water ran out before I finished. That was a very quick rinse-off for me.

Don Alaska and Bess Barber like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Years ago I developed something I called "The Treatment". I had flu symptoms and decided to try an experiment. I got into the shower and slowly turned the hot water up to max (greater than 120 F./49 C.) and kept it on at that temperature for 20 to 30 minutes, inducing a form of hyperthermia. I them very slowly added cold water to the shower stream until I felt my muscles completely relax, almost to the point of being unable to stand. I then went straight to bed and slept until naturally awakening. I was cured of the flu. I have tried it numerous times since and it has worked every time. I have also told others about the treatment and it worked for them too. The hard part is slowly lowering the temperature. If you do it too rapidly, it doesn't work and if you do it too slowly, it doesn't achieve the complete relaxation.

14. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

@Don Alaska You should write & illustrate it in a pamphlet, plus make an explanation video. Post the video it on youtube &sell the pamphlet on Amazon. People are interested in trying new things. You might as well make some money with it. You could probably even do some research to find out why it works. Call it The Secret Alaska Native Flu Cure.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska and I could go into business together. He can cure the flu and my magic elixir will cure everything else.

Shirley's magic elixer  (2).jpg

Don Alaska likes this.