High School Shop Classes You Took

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Hal Pollner, Oct 27, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I took Electric Shop in Jr. High, and I took Print Shop, Metal Shop, Auto Shop, and Ceramics in High School.

I did well in them all, especially Print Shop, where I Set Type and ran the Press.

Harold

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We were required to take shop in ninth grade. It was split into, as I remember it: metal shop, wood shop, and leatherworking. They weren't equal divisions though, as we had only a few weeks of leatherworking, and wood shop was longer than metal shop. The school offered other shop classes, such as auto shop, but they weren't required and I didn't sign up for any of them. The shop teacher pretty much ignored those of us who weren't particularly interested in learning anything, and gave us a passing grade so that he wouldn't be stuck with us for another year. I welded some pieces of metal into a box in metal shop, I made a breadboard in wood shop, and a belt in leatherworking.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

There was no choice. Alternating with theoretical training every two weeks we had to spend a day in a mechanical workshop where we had to file a workpiece or build something like a deadbolt.

4. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

Wood shop and metal shop. What you built you could take home. I have my brother's stool that he built since he did not want it. I guess he wasn't proud of it.

5. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Electric shop and split wood/metal semester, made a knife from a file in metal shop still have it, the handle in wood shop

6. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I took wood shop in 7th or 8th grade.

I did most of that stuff at a friend's house. His dad had a nice workshop in his basement and a welding rig in the garage. I was never that good at it, but my friend was. I've since improved my woodworking skills.

7. Ken Anderson

Although I didn't at the time, I now belive they should be teaching more shop-type classes in school, so that everyone doesn't grow up to be helpless like I am sometimes, when it comes to fixing something around the house.

8. John Brunner

I had a friend who bought a house in his early 30s. Before then he had always lived in apartments. It's funny the things you pick up along the way that are totally foreign to those who are used to calling the maintenance man. I don't even recall my father calling a plumber or an electrician.

9. Ken Anderson

My dad did his own plumbing and electrical work. Most people in the area, I think, either did whatever needed to be done or asked for help from someone else who knew how to do it. My dad would shoe horses for people, so he might call on them to do something that they have more expertise at. Only wealthy people, which there weren't very many of, called professionals for home maintenance or home improvement work.

In fact, the first time I saw a doctor was when I needed a physical in order to work on the staff of a Boy Scout camp when I was thirteen. Parents would diagnose and treat such things as the flu, measles, mumps, and things that people panic over today.

10. Dale Young

Dale Young Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I took auto shop in high school, I have always been interested in cars and motorcycles, so I loved it. We worked on the teachers vehicles at the end of the semester (child labour I think). In grade 8 I took wood working, our project for one of the segments was to build a gun rack. In that same year, I took Hunter Training, where we learned about hunting, tracking, animal indentification, etc. Being from an oil rich province in Canada, we also went on several field trips to oil rigs. Those were the days!

11. John Brunner

Exactly.

Of course, that might cause us to give pause at some of the legacy work that was done by those whose primary skill was "Can't afford a professional."

The guy who owned my 600 ft² home I lived in for so long had 3 kids, so he moved the water heater to the crawl space to make room for humans and closets. The crawl was 2' tall and the water heater was 4' tall, so he dug a 2' hole in the dirt and dropped it in. Eventually it rusted through and made a sauna under the house.

Frank Sanoica and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Nope, no shop classes but like others, a lot of OJT. My dad’s one single most important thing I learned from him was “if ya can’t do it then ya have to pay someone else to do it” so I had to learn from early on how to do things on my own.

I do wish though, that I had been able to take up a welding class in high school.
    My dad taught me how to build a building from the ground up including some really fine cabinet building but no welding even though he used to teach it to paying students.
    At this point in my life I’m trying to teach myself on some small projects and frankly, my welding still sucks.

13. Ken Anderson

Welding was included in our metal shop but we were just taught how to tack things together. No one really got enough time on the welder to become proficient at it. I later took a welding course at a community college.

Frank Sanoica and Bobby Cole like this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

They offered Shop Classes but I took all Academic Classes. Unfortunately I am not Mr, Handyman and barely know a hammer from a saw.

15. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

My high school offered 3 types courses. Auto mechanics, business, or college prep. Since I knew that I'm clumsy as ..... I opted for college prep which turned out well for since after my first year at Northeastern University in Boston, I was sent to a place where I started writing computer programs in 1958