Hiker Found After Disappearing For Twelve Days

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Trevalius Guyus, Oct 19, 2020.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

https://news.yahoo.com/overjoyed-missing-zion-national-park-220514109.html

It's hard to believe how much was spent to find this woman. It's hard to believe she was an experienced hiker who failed to leave an itinerary with anyone, or take her cell phone which may or may not have worked in the park.

These types of news stories pop up about three to four times a year. I look forward to getting more details on this incident, as they become available.

Sometimes, I think these folks who disappear are imbeciles. Other times, I understand how a series of weird events led up to their disappearances. Either way, I believe that all should be held financially responsible for the costs involved in finding them IF it can be shown that they were at fault in their wandering off and getting lost.

Anyone who hikes the natural parts of this vast country must understand what consequences AND costs may be involved, if he/she does so solo.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Here's the story of a woman they found along the Appalachian Trail a few years back. She had hiked all the way from Georgia, a couple of thousand miles, only to get lost and die here in Maine, not so far from the end of the trail. She kept a journal, so it was known what happened to her. She stepped off the marked trail to go to the bathroom, got twisted around, and couldn't find the trail again. Seemingly, she walked in the wrong direction and was two miles off the trail. Using the old advice of staying where you are until someone finds you, once she realized she was lost, she did that. Unfortunately, it was two years before anyone found her and she had starved to death. Had she walked in a straight line in pretty much any direction, she would have come out to civilization or to a marked trail before dying of exposure or starvation.

I've spent a fair amount of time in the woods during my years, and I've gotten lost more than a few times, mostly because I don't always pay a lot of attention to where I'm going until I realize that I'm not where I thought I was going to be. I've gotten lost on my own land up north.

However, if you have an idea as to the terrain you're in, as far as knowing the general position of such things like waterways, railroad tracks, roads, and so on, all you have to do is choose a direction that you think is right, and walk in a straight line until you come across something that can orient you as to where you are. It helps to have a compass but it's quite possible to walk in a straight line without one.

So, when I am lost I am not afraid that I am going to die or anything. I might not come out where I had hoped to come out, and I might have to walk a lot futher than I had intended to, but I'll come out.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Authorities aren't releasing any info on the woman's health or where she had been. No releasing info could be due to embarrassment by the woman and her family.

Should she be charged for all the costs to find her...........that would depend on more information that Authorities aren't releasing.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  4. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

I have always thought that folks who are mountain climbing or wilderness hikers should have to post bond before their adventure.
    This woman was not back country hiking however. It is strange that there are no details surrounding the story of her mental and physical condition.
    Maybe she just hooked up with a Forest Ranger and was in no danger?
    According to what I read she had been there earlier with her daughter and found it to be the "Most peaceful and cathartic experience" May be she just wanted to get away and there was no need for a search party.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

IOW, we don't know the entire story and not be told it. Her daughter sure doesn't want to make her mom look bad and/or stupid.

Was she shacking up with someone in those mountains? If she wasn't, just how did she handle the "elements" at night in the mountains? Also, she had been living in her van. No phone, no itinerary...........something really seems odd about this.

6. Ken Anderson

So that only the wealthy can afford it. I'm sure that many will agree, particularly those who can afford it or who have no interest in going anyhow.

7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've gotten twisted around. It's so very easy to do. You have got to remember to look behind you every once in a while so you get that mental picture of what that view is...it ain't the same as it is in front of you.

If I hiked in the wilderness regularly, I think I'd invest in a satellite phone.

8. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe we could just institute a national dumbass tax or something. That would bring in billions.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, just read online, that the lady hit her head on a tree/tree limb and she could barely get up and take any steps. She was found by a flowing body of water and that is where she stayed. Her family stated that she had multiple bruises on her body and had lost a considerable amount of weight. Authorities also stated that a hiker had given them a tip about her location.

I really don't understand the "given them a tip" thing. If she was seen, why not try to get to her to help her? Now, that, in itself, is a very good question.

10. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Perhaps that "tip" was someone who passed her while hiking before she got into trouble, so could give them a general idea what section of the trail she was last seen on and which direction she was headed.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

It's not unusual for people to hike alone on long trails because everyone goes at their own pace, and it's difficult for someone to have to slow down for someone who hikes slower, or who wants to stop for the night sooner than the other. Even people who start out together, including husbands and wives, at times, split up from time to time.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  12. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I am now convinced that this story is bogus, like many others of its kind. So many of these people come up with these lost in a park, lost at sea, nonsensical tales that start to unravel when subjected to scrutiny.

Yeah, like I believe this woman hit her head, then could hardly move around, but had the wherewithal to stay by a stream for TWELVE DAYS, without food or shelter, and survive. Fat chance, as I see it. And then there's this mysterious "tipster," whose tip to led to her being found. Right....

This gal is 38, if I have that correct. I believe she hooked up with someone in the park, had almost two weeks of fun, eating sparsely at the same time, so her story would seem plausible. OK, sure, whatever.......

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  13. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Trevalius Guyus

The unfolding of this story is about as absurd as the gradually increasing nonsense contained in this thread.

Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ya see, the twist I heard is that there’s a house in the woods with a mama bear, papa bear and ..........

Trevalius Guyus and John Brunner like this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Just read that a Sheriff's Sargent, that was part of the Rescue Team, says he doesn't really believe her or her families story. "To many inconsistences", he stated. He also stated that "only she knows what happened".

Will the real story come out and will her and her family be charged for the rescue operation?