Hillbillies And Rednecks

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Harry Havens, Jul 5, 2018.

1. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Sometimes we invent explanations for things that might not be quite right. During most of my U.S. travels in places other than the south... I was often regarded as a southerner, yet in the south I was regarded as a Yankee. For all you'ns... I am an appalachian hillbilly. We appalachina hillbillies don't say Y'all, youse guys or even you guys.

It also might be good to push through some misunderstanding about the origin of phrases such as Hillbillies, Rednecks, Crackers, et al.

For the record, I picked and ate many a blackberry growing up, while fighting chiggers along the way. Blackberry cobbler sounds rather nice right now. Somehow I suspect a trip to Cracker Barrel is in order.

Bill Boggs and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

What is tbat on your avtar ..harry

Harry Havens likes this.
  3. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, if you can't talk how do you communicate.,what do you say in regards to your statement above and what kind of appalachian are you? A Tennessee appalachian, a Virginia appalachian or what? Have you walked the appalachian trail? I eat the liver and onions at Cracker Barrel.

Harry Havens likes this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

LOL>.well as I'm Scottish born and raised...from Irish Ancestry making me an Ulster- Scot I suspect that would have made me a Hillbilly back in the day. in the USA ..what fun...lol

Certainly I've never heard that those words were from Scots Origin....I've learned something new today..

Harry Havens likes this.
  5. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I think they say "you'ns" instead of "y'all" in the Appalachians.

Frank Sanoica and Harry Havens like this.
  6. Harry Havens

Registered

One of my granddaughters is going off to college in a month and I got this T-shirt. Doesn't quite make the grade as an avatar however.

upload_2018-7-6_18-39-4.png

7. Harry Havens

Registered

I was born and raised near Fleming Crick in Flemingsburg, Kentucky, which is in Fleming County. Most of the family spoke with the accent and I probably did as well, until somewhere along the way. I still have the accent and there are certain words that still use... such as crick, instead of creek.

Everybody gave us cracker barrel gift cards for Christmas and we just about got tired of the place.

Bill Boggs likes this.
  8. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

@Harry Havens , I'm fixin' to tell you that I know all about the pickin' blackberries and the chiggers... we call them redbugs. If you can see them on your skin, they are tiny, tiny red bugs. They itched like hell the next day but Mama's blackberry dumplings were worth it. :D

Don Alaska and Harry Havens like this.
  9. Harry Havens

Registered

You'ns can probably help me with some info as well. My understanding was some English king seized a lot of land in Scotland, evicting the clans people while simultaneously offering them land in the colonies.

I ask that question, as these days kids are taught our population growth in the 1700s was due to very large families. I think that is quite possible, as families were very large, but displacement in Scotland and Ireland seems to be overlooked. There were many French fleeing their home country do to what I would call the French Inquisition. In the U.S., I was taught about the Spanish Inquisition, but nary a mention of the turmoil in France. In any case, many people fleeing mainland Europe to England and vicinity was welcomed until the end of the wars of religion. At that time they were promised (forced) land in the colonies. In my case, the interest would be the Crocketagne or now called Crocketts.

10. Harry Havens

Registered

Not to mention the jams and jellies. Spreading that on home made biscuits was a breakfast treat.

Shirley Martin likes this.
  11. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I have some hybrid blackberry bushes that don't have thorns so I can have the treats without enduring the scratches from thorns and the redbugs. Bubba and I like to pick them right off the bushes and eat them. You have to make sure they are completely black, though, or they will turn your mouth inside out.

Harry Havens likes this.
  12. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska
    Living in the Missouri Ozarks, we got a new slant on locally burnished phraseology: (mostly from waitresses)
    "Y'uns lock a drank"?
    "Lock a slahss a pahh"?
    "You gaahs lock anything else"? (spoken to my wife, her mother, and I. MIL disliked the reference to guys).
    "Ahh got aah paahl a pop". (I got a pile of pipe).

Last edited: Jul 6, 2018