Homelessness Is Increasing In America

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Ken Anderson, Apr 20, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I guess they need to fertilize the flowers they wear in their hair.

-- SF Gate

humanfecessanfranciscochart.jpg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Whilst I am sympathetic, I do sincerely hope that the population will finally stand up to the Hollywood elites and the likes of Nancy Pelosi for indeed, the homeless and such are taking the blame for that which oozes from every pore of the aforementioned.

To be serious though, the times I have had to visit Los Angeles, the stench from feces and urine was overpowering around the mission district. I wonder what the comparison might be to that of San Francisco?

One does wonder though if all the signs warning people to “poop scoop” after their dogs aren’t in all actuality a warning for people to clean up after themselves?

Jenna Parnellson and Don Alaska like this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I understand the San Francisco city council has instituted a "Poop Squad" to clean it off the streets. I don't think any other American city has had to start a Poop Patrol.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Ironically, you can be fined if you don't pick up after your dog in San Francisco.

5. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

This homeless issue is worse in spite of all that is being spent to get some of these people off the streets..

NPR reports some 59,000 are on the streets, tents, cars, etc etc their last figures report.

These are a lot of our vets too went to war and came back and now live on the streets....

Losing jobs, increased costs of housing, it's a Disgrace..

https://www.npr.org/2019/06/04/7295...ding-homelessness-up-12-in-los-angeles-county

PS: As I recollect all this disgrace, everything got way worse since SO MUCH industry and companies were shipped out of the U.S. and jobs were gone that had been here for decades before. Those in tech world would say, BUT, there will be more service oriented jobs, yeah sure....

Now they are bringing on the robots and drones to do what the human has done forever..more on the streets.

We need a revolution, so much FAT at the top and people living on the streets in the U.S.

Last edited: Jun 4, 2019
  6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Reminds me of the tv show I am watching..The Colony.

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Sure, let’s solve the problem.
    1. Quit supplying free stuff and a residence for immigrants, illegal or otherwise. America first.
    2. Cities who spotlight themselves by handing out free paraphernalia for drug use should stop.
    3. Stop demanding a $15 an hour minimum wage from businesses which are predominantly teen based jobs.
    4. HUD / VASH insists that a vet needs to be chronically homeless (a year or more) in order to help provide housing. A month is too much.
    5. Successful programs like the state funded homeless shelter in Phoenix should be copied. There’s a transient shelter on one side with councilors. A person can’t stay for more than 3 days without seeing a councilor and starting a personal review. If a person gets a job he or she moves to the working side and is allowed to stay for 90 days provided they see the councilor once a week and arrangements are made with the councilor to save 90% of their paychecks for the exit time. By the third month the client has to be in the residence finding mode and come back to the councilor with prospects for living quarters. As the exit time nears, the councilor and client go to the prospective residence and pay for the 1st month which the state used to match for the deposit.

There’s a heckova lot more that can be done about the homeless issue but it doesn’t have anything to do with the “fat at the top” unless it means that someone is sitting on their fat butt.
    A whole lot of people with a lot of money do some tremendous work and donate to homeless ministries but places like Portland, Or. which closed down a half dozen homeless shelters some years ago created their own problem. Instead of running the homeless out of the city, they created tent cities and people sleeping on the streets.

The one most important detail is trying to convey to a homeless person that without change, there will be no change. Some simply prefer to be homeless which is highly indicative of a mental problem. Others are homeless from drug and alcohol issues and still others, are there just because.
    There will always be homeless people but the thing is, someone has to get their hands dirty and do something about it.

8. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, first, there are those that live on the streets because they chose to. They don't want help and, in fact, many refuse help. Drugs, alcohol are major contributors to this problem.

As far as robots and drones go, someone has to build these things...…...people and those are jobs. My 1/2 brother hates computers with a passion. He says "computers have taken away jobs from people". I will then ask him about CAD (Computer Aided Drafting) and CNC machines that are now computerized. He basically wants to hang up the phone on me. Doesn't want to hear it.

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Oh yeah, the robot and drone issue. My bad.
    For every job that tech takes away, there are a couple that are added. Just because a robot has taken the forklifting job doesn’t mean the forklift operator can’t learn how to make the robot.

Lois Winters likes this.
  10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Actually I had a job years ago, in the early 90's, where the CNC machine operators told me they had no problem learning how to use the computer on the machine.
    As for myself, I'd take a computer for doing Purchasing and Inventory Control any day over typing out purchase orders and using 3x5 index cards for Inventory.

11. Joy Martin

Registered

There are many sick people on the streets and many institutions were shut down years ago by a president in the 80's as I recall. No one chooses to live on the streets.

So many compassionate people around it's unbelievable, not really. $15 a living wage?????? So many making this kind of money are working 2-3 jobs to pay for a roof over their heads.

Lois Winters likes this.
  12. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

@Bobby Cole ....sure you don't want to be our leader :)

Bobby Cole likes this.
  13. Joy Martin

Registered

Oh I've heard this theory, waiting for the assembly line of robots.

I happen to enjoy speaking to the delivery PERSON and wonder if they will program the robots to talk to me for a minute or so?

14. Hedi Mitchell

Registered

Probably not...time is money...and chit chat is a money waster.

15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Uh Darlin’....I really hate to be the one to break it to ya, but me thinks you nor I will not be around to even worry about it.

Yvonne Smith and Hedi Mitchell like this.