How About Under 40 Or Under 55 Apartment Complexes?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Dec 1, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Everyone knows about 55 Plus apartment complex, where nobody under 55 can live there. Well, how about apartment complexes for Under 55 or even Under 40 people only?

Actually, the complex we live in should only allow Under 40 people! Neither the Under 55 or Under 40 is discrimination, since there is over 55 only complexes.

Heck, there use to be Families Only and combo Families and Single complexes (both in one complex). When those were said to be "discriminating", why wasn't the 55 + ones discontinued as well?

2. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Wrong Cody. Senior Citizens are a protected class. Senior housing is legal.

3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Senior citizens have lobbyist, the folks under 40 just don't. Through out Florida, there are so many 55+ huge communities, I often wonder where the other people live.

Lois Winters likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

But, for those that like saying the words "discrimination" or "discriminating", why would Seniors be in a protected class? Isn't it still "age discrimination" concerning anyone under 55?

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I simply think that future tenants, of any age, should have more of a choice in what complex to move into than they do. From what I understand, 55+ Communities are quiet and have numerous activities for their tenants. But, not all Seniors can afford a 55+ place. Not all Seniors want to live among young folks who act like they don't care how much noise they make at any time, day or night. Our next door neighbor, next to our bedroom, was doing laundry at 11PM. We were in bed at the time and TRYING to sleep.

If there were Under 40 Only and/or Under 55 Only complexes, Seniors wouldn't have to put up with the noise that younger folks make. Of course, if the building is built right in the first place, with thicker walls, ceilings/floors, noise wouldn't be such a problem.

6. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

When you choose to live in communal housing,you trade off some of your comfort for whatever perceived advantage you you see in apartment living. Just the nature of the beaat. If you want total control of your environment, buy 160 acres in the woods and do your thing.
    You can only control a small part of your environment,make your choices carefully!

7. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

i have a friend that got an apartment in over 55..she loves it!

8. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Seniors can be noisy too, as you say all housing should have thick walls with cavities filled and there must be an answer
    to flooring

9. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

They live in places like Maine.:(:(

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, I've never lived where a Senior was noisy at 11PM or later. Actually, I've never lived anywhere where a Senior was noisy at all. From my prospective, Seniors follow rules much better than the younger generation ever will. Our last apartment manager told us that.

11. Patsy Faye

Registered

I agree, but not 'all' seniors are respectful

12. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

We spend the summers in an "over-55" place. As far as I can tell, everybody (except me) is in bed by nine. You can hear a pin drop. The dogs don't even bark at night.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was in the mid-20s and raising a child as a single parent, California made it against the law to discriminate in housing by age, so I was able to move into a townhouse that had previously been a 55+ facility. I had to point out to them that there was a law against age discrimination before they would rent to me. I don't know how long that law lasted. We were the only people there who were under 55 for the first couple of years that I was there, which was nice because there was a big pool that no one ever used. I can think of only one time when there was anyone else in the pool. I know I wasn't particularly noisy, but I can't swear that my son wasn't sometimes when I wasn't around. We lived there until I moved to Texas and, by then, my son was twenty and about to get married, so I paid up the rent for six months and left it to him.

14. Patsy Faye

Registered

Where is it ? Wanna go there :p

Bess Barber likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Our last apartment, the one we were in for 10 1/2 years in Jacksonville, FL, was called a "bungalow" type. It was at the end of one of the buildings and was one story. Nobody on three sides of us. Only four like it in the complex. Actually, we had to pay a little more for it. We had a few noise problems while living there, but nothing really big. Basically, in the middle of the night, a person could hear a penny drop in the middle of the drive beside our apartment. Best apartment we ever lived in!