How Do You Feel About Fraternal Organizations?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, Sep 22, 2018.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

ELKS, MOOSE, MASONS,KNIGHTS OF COLUMBUS,ODD FELLOWS,

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My husband was a Mason so I guess I'm okay with them.

3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner
    I believe my grandpa was a Freemason. I have his Masonic ring, handed to me by my Mother years ago. It has a funny little star-like insignia on it, if I recall correctly.

Beyond that, I know next to nothing about fraternal organizations, but would relish appreciatively, should someone tell us more!
    Frank

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  4. Lon Tanner

Registered

I have been a Free Mason since 1958 & Scottish Rite since 1975. There is much Myth about FREEMASONRY but it's main function is to make a GOOD MAN a BETTER MAN. Some excellent current docos on NETFLIX that dispel much of the myths and so called secrets.

5. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't give them much thought.

We had Oddfellows halls in the small towns where I grew up. The Oddfellows seemed to be an early form of mutual aid/insurance that would help the members and their families if they experienced various hardships. They also funded some orphanages.

We also had Grange halls that were organizations for local farmers to meet mingle and also act as sort of an early union/lobby for farmers.

I suppose that these groups also provide some business networking among the members.

I would have no interest in the various secret rituals of a fraternal organization but I don't have any problem with them or those that do enjoy them.

6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Many, many years ago I belonged to the Moose club. Yes, there is a good mission statement and it serves a good purpose but the bottom line is that it was just an inexpensive place to drink and mix with other people of one’s own ilk.

Beatrice Taylor likes this.
  7. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I really don't know hardly anything about any of these but I definitely remember one of my Uncles was a member of The Knights of Columbus. It seems though that all of these "Clubs" are just for men, correct me if I'm wrong about that. And if that is the case to me they are just what we used to refer to as "Good Ole Boy Clubs." :) Kind of reminds me of when I was young and the boys built a club house and hung a sign saying "No Girls Allowed" so unless any of the above is like the Klue Klux Klan (I hope my spelling is correct) I say let those good old boys have their fun. :)

Don Alaska likes this.
  8. Lon Tanner

Registered

The origin of FREEMASONRY and it's connection to the building of KING SOLOMON'S TEMPLE is very interesting.

9. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

There are Biblical warnings about joining secret organizations, but that's not the case so much with most of the fraternal organizations, although Freemasonry would be one of them. I was a member of a Lion's Club once, but there wasn't anything so secret about that. Basically, to me at least, it was a networking thing that was important to me as I was the director of a volunteer ambulance service. Some of our board members were Lion's Club members, and there were others who could be instrumental when it came to fundraising or for getting support for changes that I wanted to make to the service. The Lion's Club provided funding to help kids with eye problems, so that was a good thing, and we started the Los Fresno PRCA Rodeo while I was a member of the club, and that was kind of fun. They did a weekly Bingo fundraiser, and I had to help with that at least half the time, but that wasn't so bad. The nachos, cheese, and jalapenos were good and free to members. Lion's Club meetings were a bit on the tedious side, however. I literally fell asleep once, but it was passed off as my having been busy with ambulance calls, and there was some truth to that.

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

There is absolutely no conflict between ANY religion and FREE MASONRY. It is open to MEN OF Good Will irrespective of RACE OR ETHNICITY.
    The Lion's Club IS NOT a Fraternal Organization. It is a SERVICE CLUB like Kiwanis & Rotary.

12. Ken Anderson

Yes, very much like the Kiwanis and the Rotary, and Freemasonry is something else, as I have said. The next time you ask a question, if there is only one specific answer that is acceptable to you, please let us know that in advance. That would save a lot of trouble.

See: List of general fraternities on Wikipedia, and you will find that it includes Freemasonry, the Odd Fellows, Knights of Columbus, Lions Clubs International, Rotary International, and Kiwanis International, among several others. Are they all the same thing? Of course not; that's probably why they have different names.

The chief difference between Freemasonry and the Lions Club is that one is a secret order, the other not. Both are fraternal organizations, however. That is what you asked about, and that is what I answered.

See: IRS definition of Fraternal Societies

If what you meant to ask was what we felt about secret fraternal orders, well, I answered that question too, and you didn't like that answer either. I won't argue that with you, however; at least not in the Family & Relationships section.

13. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

I have no reason to doubt that they all have good intentions behind them. Although there was a saying the road to hell is paved with good intentions. There is always the suspicion of any secret society. Some secret society have been very destructive not saying they are, With out compete openness who knows and the people at the bottom of these organization certainly don't know.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Lon Tanner

Registered

Let's not make a mountain out f a mole hill. I asked a simple question as to what people thought about fraternal organizations and then responded to some information that is not true. I was not looking for debate or argument.

FYI Kiwanis, Rotary, Lion's are in no way a Fraternal organization.

15. Ken Anderson

I simply answered that question. I don't know what the hostility is all about. I replied to your question according to definitions in the English language, and with no idea that you had intended to ask about something else. But no matter. Have it your way, Lon. I'll try to remember to stay out of your threads.o_O

Last edited: Sep 23, 2018
    Bobby Cole likes this.