How Do You Take, & Organize Your Pills?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Apr 27, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I take several medications daily at specific times, morning, noon, bedtime. I can only get 30 of each at a time through my drug plan. 60 would sure be more convenient. On Friday mornings I organize in a Pill Container all the pills I will need until the following Friday morning and see what must be re-ordered. This exercise is not as easy as it sounds and requires concentration and memory. Playing Solitaire and other on line games is helpful also. I hope my activities will keep me out of the Memory Loss & ALZ Units that are available where I am living.

2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

How many pills do you take per day Lon?

Do you have a pill dispenser that has 4 sections per day or just 3?

I have a 4 section one.. Morn/Afternoon/ Evening/ Night

I don't have to take many pills routinely..only 3 per day at the moment..and a Vit tablet...however I have an unpredictable condition which means on occasion I have to take different meds as well, which ups my intake to around 7 pills per day sevral times a day for short periods!!

3. Holly Saunders

Registered

Yes Hal, I realise each pill dispenser has 7 days of the week, but I was asking Lon how many compartments per day he has on his dispenser...

Last edited by a moderator: May 4, 2019
  4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I take a max of eight pills per day My Pill Box has a Morning Noon & Evening section.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  5. Holly Saunders

Registered

I have this one which has 4 sections for each day...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

good grief.I am blessed.. I take one vitamin, and three meds and one baby aspirin once a day:)

Beth Gallagher and Patsy Faye like this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

From what I have read, it is important to be getting some exercise each day to help maintain adequate blood flow into the brain, as well as having foods that are nourishing to the brain.
    The little games are good for helping to keep your brain active, but reading and studying will do the same thing, and I prefer to be learning something new as opposed to just playing a game on the iPad; so I am usually reading and thinking and learning something new.

We go to the fitness center almost every day, and I swim and do water exercises, and usually Bobby and I go for a short walk down to the little neighborhood grocery where he buys his cigarettes every day; so I know that I am getting some exercise in, at least on most days.

One of the main things that is supposed to help prevent dementia and Alzheimer’s is MCT oil, which is found in abundance in coconut oil; so I also use that for all of our cooking that requires oil, and put some in my bulletproof coffee as well.
    From what I have read, too much sugar is one of the main causes of memory loss, so my low carb diet should help out with that, too.

I think that having a mental attitude of enjoying life is also one of the most important things, and even though we can never predict what is going to happen with our health, when we take the best care of our mind and body as we are able to do, then it gives us a better chance of enjoying life as we age.

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Holly Saunders

Registered

I only Take 3 pills per day.. excluding the vits...
    One of one type every morning..one of a different type just before bed..and a different one for muscle spasms during the day... so , not many..

I only use the dispenser when I'm on holiday, taking several weeks of meds with me, otherwise I don't use it here at home...

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

A sure sign you're feeling old .....................? Go on about pills - urine infections and the like ....
    Hear it a lot here where I live :rolleyes:
    I won't be a party to it - avoid at all costs :p
    Anyhoo - the best mental exercise is the card one. Give the cards a good shuffle and spread face down on a table
    Pick up 2 cards then lay face down where you took them from, continue picking up 2 cards till you match a pair
    The theme is to 'remember' where the matching cards are
    I shall have a go at this on a more regular basis, along with crosswords, I expect to see me brain appreciating my efforts !

10. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Ditto. I take a blood pressure pill and that's it. Sometimes I remember a vitamin but most days not. :D My doctor took me off the baby aspirin after I had a gout flare in my foot a couple of years ago. I definitely don't want that again.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We have the Wii Game, but haven't been playing it lately.

Both of us have a plastic 7-day/AM-PM pill dispenser. Both of us take a "Senior" type vitamin and a few vitamin supplements. We also take, twice a day, a 1000mg Metformin (Diabetic II med) and I take a Glipizide med twice a day as well. After we move, our finances won't allow us to buy the higher-end supplements we currently do.

My wife just seen her PCP this last Thursday and he said she was doing fine, health wise. My VA doctor told me the same last November. Neither of them tell us to lose weight, even though we know we should lose some.

We do get exercise, but it's mainly walking around while shopping. Our boat won't go in the water here anymore and we will only go to the Range a couple more times before we move.

12. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

What I'm banking on to keep my Memory until I'm finished here, are my antioxidants which include Vit C, Grape Seed Extract (google Grape Seed Extract and Amyloid Plaque) and my daily use of Coconut Oil which I use for everything.

I played bridge up until a while ago but can't sit long periods due to knee issue.

Do everything you can read up on to keep that MIND.

13. Yvonne Smith

Welcome to the forum, @Joy Martin , and I am really glad that you found us, and happy to hav you here. We have several people here that are involved with natural health, and certainly open to all of your suggestions.
    I have heard about grape seed extract, and it is supposed to be very beneficial for a person’s health.

I am a greeter here, so if there is anything that I can do to help you get settled in to this forum, do not hesitate to message me !
    Yvonne

14. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks Yvonne for the welcome. I don't have a lot of enthusiasm left in my life but my good health which I attribute to my antioxidants. Started working with nutritional supplements right after menopause in my early 50's and it was just RIGHT....

My main nasty issue is OA and a hip replacement in 2010 that the surgeon I believe did a sloppy job. I live in a lot of chronic pain from this surgery. And advancing OA...

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  15. Yvonne Smith

I have bad knees from vehicle accidents and horseback riding accidents, but since I had a blood clot in my lungs and leg, they said they can’t do any kind of a knee replacement. After hearing people’s stories of those replacements that have gone bad, I think that I am probably better off just living with the knee as it is.
    What has helped me a lot (besides diet and health supplements) is water exercise.
    We have a fitness membership included with Medicare Advantage, and we try to go to the fitness center at least several days a week, and every day when possible.
    I can do exercises in the water for my knees and it has helped a lot, and it is something that I can do in the water that i could not do otherwise.

Frank Sanoica likes this.