How Many Of Us Are On Medicare?

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Chrissy Cross, Nov 30, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Do I have to do anything if I'm not changing my plan? I tried calling to ask a few days ago and was on hold for half an hour and just as it was my turn...I got disconnected. As you can imagine I was livid. I don't feel like calling again since I'm sure they're very busy with the Dec. 7 deadline.

I don't remember what I did last year.

Thanks

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Nothing, if NOT changing your plan. You have Part A (Hospitalization) w/no monthly premium payment and Part B (regular medical) w/a monthly payment premium. Exactly the same wife and I have.

Ken Anderson and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I am on Medicare along with a Medicare Supplement and Part D for Drugs

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

With and I are on Medicare A/B with Florida Blue as a supplement and Walmart Humana as our drug plan. However, I get my labs (blood/urine) done thru the VA Medical as well as the Consultation for the lab work. All of my prescription come from the VA. As far as my previous surgeries, last surgery I had done thru the VA was in 1988.

When we move, due to stricter finances, I may only be able to have/use my VA.

6. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If you aren't on Medicare A and you are over 65, you are foolish as you paid for that your entire working life and it is free to enroll and use. Medicare B is a different issue. I believed that I didn't need B since I was adequately insured by other means, but when I had my back surgery, I discovered that I was actually charged MORE due to the fact that I didn't have Part B. The penalties for not enrolling in B start accruing as soon as you are not covered by an employer-provided coverage. I was covered by BC/BS, which apparently didn't count, so I was penalized a small amount when I did enroll, but that penalty is assessed every month until I die now.

Ken Anderson and Bess Barber like this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, when I was illegible for Medicare, I read that, since I was a Veteran, I should have both Medicare and VA Medical. That is fine, for those Veterans that can afford Medicare, a supplement and drug plan. Nice thing about VA Medical, no monthly payment or deductible. The bad thing is......small cities, like we are moving to, only have a Clinic, not a hospital. The closest VA Hospital would be in Denver or in Cheyenne. If I end up changing my medical coverage to VA only, I will have to pay full cost to be taken to regular ER.

Currently, we are paying a somewhat hefty monthly cost for both of us to be on Medicare, the Supplement and our drug plan. And, because my wife's salary is up there, we also have to pay co-pays for meds for me.

8. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

As a veteran I too am eligible for full scale VA health benefits but have only used the VA for my service connected hearing loss for which I receive a 70% disability benefit and my Cochlear Implant for the hearing loss. I use Medicare and my supplement for all my health needs,

9. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I have a Medicare Advantage plan.

10. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

That is good information to know. I'm not 65 yet, but I'm glad I am aware of this ahead of time.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  11. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Medicare Advantage plan.