How Many Times Have You Been Married And How Long Each?

Discussion in 'Family & Relationships' started by Lon Tanner, Oct 29, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, not everyone in America is "open minded" to any kind of marriage. Families have been broken up due to different types of marriage.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

IOW, Bobby, no matter what controversial topic it is, those that say "it's none of my business" is what people who do these things want to hear. That wording validates, to them, what they are doing/do.

3. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I call that BS. The question was what do you think about them. A non-answer like "it's none of my business" is just a copout because they don't want to say what they think.

4. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Yeah, they might want to hear it but most people who do things differently than ourselves do not care what we think to begin with. I might not like what someone does but if it isn’t hurting anyone and it doesn’t have anything to do with my life in general, it’s none of my business.

Beth Gallagher and Peter Renfro like this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thing is, Al, there are many people that will say "it's none of my business" to different things. They simply don't want to give an opinion, unlike those that will give an opinion.

6. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

If the thread is about giving an opinion then saying it's none of my business does not give an opinion. It was a specific question not generic.

Cody Fousnaugh likes this.
  7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bobby, did you read my #10 post? There are things here that are pretty different than where you live. However, there are a number of things different in Denver than here. IOW, can't have many interracial marriages or relationships when the demographics here just isn't made for that.

8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

We do often agree Al and Renfro and I nearly always disagree but on this one I have to write that he did indeed state his opinion with brevity but very succinctly.
    If @Peter Renfro had lengthened that opinion his normal reply would have resembled, “it is none of my &^%*&^*&^&^ business what any race does with another”.

Al Amoling likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So, according to your demographics, if a black person marries a white person, it’s your business. I do strongly submit to you sir that that is absolutely absurd!!

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Did you also read in that post about why we moved here? Basically speaking, it isn't any of our business, but we did choose a place to live where we don't see it, or very little of it. Like I keep saying, Bobby, you and Yvonne live in a very different type of area than we do. Most people that live in Southern States would never move to a northern state, like Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, etc. Just too different, and not talking about the winters here.

11. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

His true love was Kim Novak and she loved him - due to pressure they called off the relationship

12. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

No it is not a "cop out" I think nothing about a mixed marriage, It is nothing that I have any right to say anything about. For instance, I am "homophobic", Not that I don't like them, not that I don't have some within my circle of family and friends. I just will never be able to get my head around the concept. That does not mean that I think that shouldn't marry, that doesn't mean that I dis respect them, that doesn't mean that I think I am better, holier, less sinful or whatever. I just means that I do not have the right to hold someone elses life in judgement.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

This happens all of the time, and it's happened to me, even on this forum. First thing was my participation in rodeo, then not wanting to associate with smokers or folks that use the "f" bomb and the list goes on.

Then again, wife and I have judged others and don't think twice about doing it.

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So you are also saying that the south is less racially prejudiced than the north? Or.....are you writing that we southerners would not be welcomed in your north or even, you in particular would not welcome us to your demographically biased north?

Let’s see if I can stretch this even further. Though New Orleans is my home, I was BORN in Iowa and my wife was raised in the mountains of Idaho right next to Montana and you say that we could not nor would live in the north?

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Mary Robi likes this.
  15. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

My great-grandparents could not marry south of the Mason-Dixon line. Heck, there probably wasn't anyplace *north* of the Mason-Dixon line where it was actually legal for them to marry, either. Luckily, they slipped over the border and found a sympathetic Methodist minister who agreed to marry them, listing my great-grandmother as a "Hebrew Spinster" (he, along with many others, considered the Melungeons to be one of the Lost Tribes of Israel).

I have a beloved mixed-race grandson-in-law and two little mixed-race great-granddaughters that I love with all my soul. Anybody who tells me that it's wrong for them to exist had better prepare for me to open the proverbial can 'o Whup-Ass for them. I have the can opener ready.