How Much Do You Agree With People?

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Feb 23, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Didn't see any kind of "personality" category for this, so put it here.

As you all know, I have no problem disagreeing with people or saying "no". Of course, that can lead to "confrontation", which can be good and bad both.

Funny thing is, my SIL (wife's one sister) loves to talk to my wife, because my wife always agrees with things she says. Same goes for my brother. Both would rather talk to her than me, because she constantly agrees with both of them. However, there are times that my wife won't disagree with her sister directly over the phone, but will disagree with her when I'm on the phone talking to her.

Another thing, wife and I couldn't move back to So California, because my wife's sister would have my wife doing all kinds of things for her...……..and, my wife simply can't say "sorry, no" or "can't do" to her sister. That would really, really cause friction in our marriage.

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Yep can understand that - fortunately we both agree on the people we dislike
    Have no time for 'yes' people, although with a sister it can be tricky, took me over 40 years to say 'no' to mine
    then I moved away from her

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We have always suspected that your wife simply tells people that she agrees with everything they say (whether she does or not), and now we know for sure why you always say that your wife agrees with everything that you write on this forum.

I don’t see much sense in arguing with people , and when I have an opinion, I will usually say what I think, and then leave it at that. Arguments seldom change anyone’s mind, anyway, but just telling people that I agree with them when I don’t , doesn’t make any sense either.
    Part of being a human being, is that we all have our differing opinions, thoughts, and feelings.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  4. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

Some different here I say what I feel to about anyone and always told I am way to blunt, now more so than ever with the political climate here, many would say don't ask Dennis as he will offend someone, well those types do not exist in my life anymore I removed them.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh - smh, .. I agree with Me :D... everything else just falls in to place.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Love the replies.

Actually, my wife didn't have any kind of problem with her oldest sister when we lived in So California. It was my wife's younger sister who has had mental problems, however they were being controlled by a monthly shot she was suppose to give herself. At one time, she worked a part-time job and lived on her own. But, in the eleven years, she has gone downhill both mentally and physically and has had to rely on my wife's older sister for different things. No longer working and has to live with a family thru Social Services. The younger sister can no longer drive. So, just what does the above mean?

If we were living there again, the older sister would definitely be calling on my wife to take the younger sister places and help her with her finances. IOW, turning almost all of the stuff she is doing for the younger sister over to my wife to do. The older sister has already told wife and I how much a "pain in the butt" the younger sister can be. The family she lives with are not allowed to take her places or handle her finances.

I really do believe the older sister knows, in part, the reason we won't move back there...……..my wife can't say "sorry, I can't do that" to her.

7. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Agree totally with that, @Yvonne Smith. That is why I have been married to the same woman for 42 years (so far).

8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't like people to say "exactly" in response to something I have said which they deem accurate.

Nothing is "exact" except rational mathematical formulas that DON'T involve continued fractions or square roots of negative numbers.

When I reply to people's statements that I find NOT to be truly exact, I'll say "roughly" or "approximately" or "that's close", but rarely ever "exactly".

Hal

9. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It depends on what is said for me to agree or disagree. I am not fearful of doing either and I love to argue and enjoy Stirring The Pot.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Given that I make perfect sense at all times, no one ever disagrees with me.

11. Emma Smith

Emma Smith Veteran Member
    Registered

How Much Do You Agree With People?

I either agree or disagree with facts, details, or opinions, and pretty often.

@Cody Fousnaugh I really do believe the older sister knows, in part, the reason we won't move back there...……..my wife can't say "sorry, I can't do that" to her.

One day, it's possible there won't be a buffer. Your wife will have to decide if she's going to stand up to her sister or be manipulated.

I knew sisters who talked every day for nearly fifty years. When one's husband died, within months, the other stopped speaking to her for nearly a year. She was completely alone and needed those calls. When they resumed their calls, nothing had changed.

Thinking that someone is there for you because you talk to them daily or because you make a point not to disagree with them doesn't mean they won't desert you when you most need them, if you don't do what they want. It's often alarming what takes place in families when someone dies. True colors are revealed.

12. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yeah right...well I disagree about that..so there!!:p

13. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

I generally go along to get along and not trouble the waters.

Holly Saunders and Don Alaska like this.
  14. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

There is little tricks that might help even when you know someone is wrong to tell them it starts a problem. So you simply say that was interesting which means you did agree or disagree. I taught this to teacher when you tell someone they are wrong you run into a wall you are attacking their beliefs. For example if the student was asked what is two plus two and the answer he gave was five the teacher would say you’re wrong it sounds good but now you have to fight his believes. Think of what would happen to you if the same question was asked and you said four and the teacher said your wrong would you listen to anything else she said.

I had a student in judo he through another student incorrectly and hurt him. I said that was interesting and did you get the response you wanted. The student said no then I said if I could show you of getting a better result and having more fun would you like to learn the answer was yes. I now have a student that was not degraded and wants to learn.

15. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe the older sister needs help or is tired of being solely responsible for the younger sister.

I'm my own person, but I try to be agreeable most of the time. The older I get, the more inclined I am to speak up when I feel someone is overstepping.

Hedi Mitchell likes this.