How Much Sleep Do You Get?

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

I would love to get a solid eight hours every night but in fact average no more than two hours and if I am lucky, maybe a 30 minute nap during the day. I seem to function OK with this but sure miss the longer sleep. I have done all the sleep tips & OTC meds to no avail. I am reluctant to take any prescription meds for fear of dependency and addiction.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

2 hours every night???

That’s hard to believe ...it’s not very healthy.

Maybe you think you only sleep two hours but wake up and dose off all night.

So you are saying you are up for 22 hours every day??

Ive only heard of people on drugs doing that and even they can’t go too long.

3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Lon Tanner you might have sleep apnea and therefore cannot sleep for long periods. If you are unable to be tested, there are OTC products that may help some.

4. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am not up for 22 hours. I am wide awake for at least 18 to 20.
    It is now 10 AM and I have been up since 7AM & will be awake until I go to bed at 9:30 PM.
    My docs have been no help.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Well I e been up since 4 am and now it’s 10:30 am and I’ll go to bed around 8:30.

If you go to bed at 9:30 and get up at 7:30...something doesn’t add up.

6 hrs sleep is a lot different than saying you only sleep two hrs....big difference

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Registered

Not Healthy? Chrissy--If I were healthy I would not be living in Assisted Living

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

My sleep Problem is related to my Rheumatoid Arthritis and not Sleep Apnea.

8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Is it the pain, or something else? Have you tried things like Lyrica or Gabapentin?

9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

My philosophy is after a certain age...so what if you get addicted if it makes your quality of life better.

I’ll always have to take my Thyroid meds and eye drops...I may not be addicted to them but I need them every day.

Yvonne Smith and Don Alaska like this.
  10. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Those are quality of life meds, @Chrissy Cross. Unless you are like Ken, who has no thyroid, your thyroid meds make you feel better, and the eye drops keep you from going blind. The medications you use are some of those that make aging more agreeable. I certainly wouldn't give those up. The things I suggested to Lon are drugs I call "scramblers" as they make your body perceive pain differently and are an alternative to opiates in some cases and are considered non-addictive, or at least not as addictive as opiates.

11. Lon Tanner

Registered

No Don, I have considerable discomfort but not pain. I have a good bed and mattress but just can't get settled comfortably for sleep. Yes I have taken Gabapentin at bedtime to no avail.
    Thanks for your response.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Lon Tanner

Registered

Don---You seem to have a good and accurate handle on meds. Pharmaceutical backround??

Don Alaska likes this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, I know all that @Don Alaska ....those are usually used for nerve pain like neuropathy....

What I was saying is I wouldn’t worry about addiction to prescription sleep aids at this point.

A small dose will conk him out if hes never taken them....and it will take a while before he gets used to that dose and has to up it and even then it will still be a small dose.

Of course only his dr knows if he should take them....sedatives lower your respiration rate and as a Senior with any other issues especially lung related they might not be an option.

Also...shouldn’t drink with them either.

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019
    Don Alaska likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

During the week, when my wife has work, we go to bed between 10PM and 10:30PM and are up at 6:45AM. Some nights my wife has a terrible time getting to sleep, so she will take a 200mg Motrin and that will put her to sleep and, other nights, she will fall asleep pretty fast. Most of the time we are both guaranteed to get up a couple of times a night to hit the bathroom.

This morning I was awake at 4AM and couldn't get back to sleep. I was thinking a lot of what I was going to do during the day...….haircut, get my wife a birthday card (which I bought one that had me tearing-up some in the Hallmark store) and some packing. I ended up getting up and redoing my old Website/Username/Password guide I have. I delete websites I no longer use and add new ones that I use.

Now, on the weekends, unless we go out for breakfast on Saturday AM, I will let my wife sleep in until 9AM or so.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Also @Lon Tanner ...maybe you could go down a little in your thyroid med dose....even though your bloodwork says what your on is ok...a small change might make a difference.

Try .88 instead of .100.

You have your thyroid...right?

Last edited: Jan 25, 2019