How To Straighten Heavy Metal?

Discussion in 'Home Improvement' started by Nancy Hart, Feb 13, 2019.

1. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

That is not at all a precision part. Take it off,put it in your vise. Possibly take a socket or other piece of metal inside the U right where the bend starts. Crank down mightily. That is a flexible top link.many mowers of that type use a short length of chain. It is designed to let the deck come up if you hit an object. A rigid link would damage your mower your tractor or both! That is the smallest one I have ever seen 3footer?

Bobby Cole, Nancy Hart and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Sounds like a good plan. Thanks Peter. I think the perspective in the photo makes it look smaller, but it's not huge. I'm guessing 4 feet.

3. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks everyone! :D

Found a granite rock just about the right size, and tapped with a sledge hammer. It has just a slight wave now which I didn't even notice until looking at the picture, but I think it is OK.

mower-link1.jpg link_mower.jpg

Didn't try attaching mower to tractor. The part doesn't fit tight like before, and I've tightened the bolt about all I can. I have a feeling it is supposed to be loose in there, but not sure. Probably needs oil and grease too. The mower is a 42" Bush Hog Squealer. :rolleyes:

mowerlink1.jpg bushhogmower2.jpg

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  4. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Way to go, @Nancy Hart! Looks good!!!

Nancy Hart likes this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Good job! Fire it up and start mowing!

Don Alaska likes this.
  6. Nancy Hart

Registered

You will be sorry you said that, because it opens the door for me to explain IN DETAIL why I can't fire it up just yet. n(Thank you! :D))

I've been watching YouTube videos all day.

This is the oil reservoir. There is a missing plug/cap on the side. Believe it or not, you start filling oil until it runs out the side. That is the "dipstick." :rolleyes:. Can I just stick a cork in it? LOL

[​IMG]

Need a large socket to get the top fill hole open because it is recessed. Why can't they sell sockets separately?

Alternatively you can take the whole top off (4 bolts). I can do that, but afraid of finding worms. ;) :(

[​IMG]

Need a special kind of oil.

There are numerous grease fittings. I don't understand grease fittings. Although there are at least 4 grease guns out there, I can't tell if they are the right size. And what if I ruin one of the fittings, or it needs replaced?

Then there are more adjustments once you get it on the tractor. Need to find the owner's manual. Sunday.

Even though this is not a priority until weeds start growing tall (probably July), it has become a new challenge, and I can't let it go. :rolleyes:

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Nancy Hart, when you get done there, I've got a lot of stuff you can do around here. You're making me tired.

8. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

@Nancy Hart perhaps you could temporarily plug the hole with a large bolt. They DO sell individual sockets some places if you know what size it is, but it is generally cheaper to buy an entire set. You may need a thin-wall socket if the plug is recessed, but I can't imagine that you do if the machine has age on it.

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Nancy, you need to find the manual FIRST...."When all else fails, read the instructions".;)

10. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

http://www.bushhog.com/uploads/documents/BHRotaryCutter420-sq84t-08.pdf

Gear oil should be 80/90 GL5 available at any tractor supply'
    Grease is simple. If you have the mower and tractor I am assuming you already have a grease gun. Grease zerks used on that machine should be standard SAE and any standard gun will fit them. As for grease I would just use any hi temp grease. TSC has some red grease I like. Just a couple pumps will do ya!

Nancy Hart likes this.
  11. Nancy Hart

Registered

I wonder if there is pressure on that side plug on the oil reservoir. In the diagrams it's called a "gas plug." :confused: But looks like the threads are on the outside from the picture. Will find out more tomorrow. Thanks.

Will get the oil in there, one way or another. ;)

Tomorrow.

Thanks for the parts manual, Peter. I'm beginning to think this is a reconditioned cutter. Looks repainted.

Don Alaska likes this.
  12. Nancy Hart

Registered

Last update

The camera/flash can come in handy for hard to see places. This is the side opening on the gear box. The plug is already in there! .. It just needs a hex wrench to get it out. [​IMG] .

[​IMG] [​IMG]

The plug on the top seems like it has a thin metal cap that doesn't screw off (?) Requires a deep socket.

[​IMG]

I think it might be a good idea to take the whole top lid off the gear box anyway, and see what's in there. One YouTube video mentioned that sometimes folks fill the oil reservoir with grease when it leaks oil. If that's the case I can't fix the problem, but I want to know anyway. :( I'm still a little suspicious of the history of this mower.

Couldn't find the owner's manual, but I think one for any similar mower would work, thanks to the parts diagram @Peter Renfro linked.

Next time, I really need to do another job first, if it's not raining. Will move the discussion to the diary thread when I get back to this. Thanks everyone.

Don Alaska and Joe Riley like this.
  13. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

You really can't straighten Heavy Metal, it's gonna be twisted, no matter what you do.

Sorry, my bad. Wrong thread.:eek:

Carry on...

Nancy Hart likes this.
  14. Nancy Hart

Registered

Thanks, Tim. Always liked that song. Never knew who recorded it, until now.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 18, 2019
    Tim Burr and Joe Riley like this.
  15. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

@Nancy Hart didn't mean to derail your thread, just having some fun.

You got some good advice; we have a great bunch on our forum that enjoy helping other.

We are very lucky.

And, it is a catchy tune, isn't it !:)

Nancy Hart likes this.