How We Are Doing

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 20, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Have never worn chaps. However, living here we could have "the best of both worlds"...…..to a point. But, have only seen a few cowboy hats here, whereas in Wyoming, would see a whole lot more.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

The State Fair is going on in Oklahoma City. I haven't gone but during the evening news
    a few scans over the fairgrounds I did note Western styled hats galore. In much of Oklahoma
    Western hats (cowboy) are worn as in much of West Texas. It's always been done and those
    that wear them seem to like them. The baseball cap, a western hat, hats of all descriptions
    are worn where headgear is worn. Of course most often in the businbess world of today, hats
    are no longer worn as they once were. Most often when a man wears a hat with a suit its more
    often a fedora of some sort. The only reason I don't have some old western style hat is I can't find
    one I like with the two inch brim. Now days I tend to wear a hat more than most men probably
    because of the many skin cancers I've had and are having. I prefer a tight knit straw and wear
    the Country Gentleman. I wore out my Panama and figure I'm so old I'm not worth another. Now
    days I like one as demostrated in my avatar. I've always figured it 's not the headgear that makes
    the person, it's the person who make the headgear.

And, people wear jeans everywhere. Jeans are not only western wear, regardless of the brand,
    jeans are work clothes. I like the light weight jeans rather than the fourteen ounce denim.
    Regardless of style or brand of what's considered western wear, what kind of britches a man
    wears or what a man wears on his noggin will always look better if he's a good man.

Good luck up there this winter.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2019
  3. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh No place in the west is senior friendly anymore. Several places are cowboy and boating friendly, but most are a younger crowd. Prices are soaring and making it hard to rent a place in a senior community. No jobs for seniors to supplement income unless you are bilingual and will work for minimum wage. Good friends retired at 65, sold everything, and bought a 5th wheel and have been traveling the USA trying to find a good place. Last two years traveling and living in the west and decided just to live in the 5th wheel until they die or have to go to assisted living. I want to move next year when my old neighbor leaves, but no where to go with the medical facilities I frequent. I have lived in every western state (except Hawaii) and don't know where to go. Good luck in Wyoming.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Although I haven't been in touch with him since I left Texas, I knew someone who moved to Colorado from California hoping for a better life. He owned a construction company, and found that he could not compete in California without hiring illegals who would work for less than American workers. It wasn't that he was unwilling to pay more, because he used to pay more, but when you're paying American workers a living wage, your bids are going to be higher than someone who is hiring illegals at the minimum wage or less. He moved his business to Colorado but found that the problem had followed him.

Bess Barber, Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

During my years in pro-rodeo, only two brands of jeans were worn by most-to-all contestants...…….Wrangler jeans were the most popular, but now it is Wrangler and Cinch. Wrangler has been a major sponsor of pro-rodeo for years, just like Resistol hats are. Even today at rodeos, Wrangler and Cinch are the jeans chosen, not Levi's. When competing at a pro-rodeo, a long sleeve shirt, boots and cowboy hat are required.
    I have nice Resistol black felt hat that I wear, mainly during the winter months, that goes great with my black sport coat, long-sleeve shirt, tie, Wrangler jeans and Lace-Up Roper boots. My wife has, and wears, the same.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I wouldn't necessarily say that (in red above).

Well, living here can be expensive, but so is Florida and Jacksonville.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The only senior friendly places on the face of the earth are those areas where the family cultures are centered around the seniors.

Now, having written that, @Faye Fox has a point in that to get some respect in the U.S. as a senior, one has to have a bucket of cash to throw around and then that isn’t really called giving respect, it’s called kissing butt.
    Generally speaking of course........

Bess Barber and Faye Fox like this.
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Ole Roberto!

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Maybe true, Bobby, but tv ads from AARP, and for some medicines, are always showing Seniors getting respect. Of course, that's tv.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

One thing, and it really happens here, that really urks the younger generation, is how slow Seniors here drive. "Slow" meaning the speed limit. Here there are mainly two speed limits, 35 and 40 and they are both way, way slower than the younger folks here want to drive.

13. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh AARP ha ha ha! I parted with that con organization years ago when they told me how to vote! Criminals!!! It is estimated their CEO makes $100,000 a month. Not bad for a non profit organization CEO.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2019
  14. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Seems one can miss out on a whole lot of life and living by longing and yearning,
    buried in the past as it were, in what was and is no more.

Life is ever changing. Forget the cowboy; he no longer exist, because next out of
    the shute is the space ship Explorer, blasting off for the third galaxy. Find you an
    every Friday night square dance and pretend you have just won the national
    championship in wild bronc riding and your lady is anxious to get you on the dance
    floor.

In mind and memory those times of yore can live forever, whereas a fact finding
    reality will render only splinters of the past.

Enjoy what your state has to offer and hold the past in precious memory.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Bill, do you REALLY believe the American Cowboy, whether it be rodeo or ranch types, are dead/no longer exist. There are plenty of Cattle Buyers, ranch foremen, working cowboys and rodeo cowboys that would completely differ with you.
    When was the last time you went to a large rodeo, like Cheyenne Frontier Days or the Denver Stock Show & Rodeo or to a Ranch Rodeo or visited a full-blown cow-calf operation ranch?