How Will You Spend Memorial Day?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Lon Tanner, May 25, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

It's 8:30 AM for me and I am in my Terry Cloth Robe with a cup of coffee watching the news on TV from the comfort of my Lazy Boy recliner. They will be bringing me breakfast at 9 AM. I don't plan on getting up and dressed until 11:30 AM or so and then I will just hang out in my apartment for the rest of the day, reading, surfing, napping. No reason or cause to go outside where the temps today will be triple digit.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't know about watching the news, Lon. A whole lot of complaining about the way Millennials are acting this Memorial Day Weekend. Big picture and article about all of them at Lake of the Ozarks partying. No distancing done as well as no masks being worn.

A number of shootings/killings are happening this weekend as well.

As for us, our American Flag is flying outside on our patio. I've just finished my breakfast of two eggs, bacon and some fried taters. Wife finished coloring her hair. I done my mustache and temples last week. All gray gone now! May take a drive to local state park/lake to see how many boats are going in.

IOW, nice Memorial Day!

3. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Cody Fousnaugh -- as much as you love to dis one of your favorite targets, millenials, I'm sure they are far from the only people who will be crowding the beaches this weekend. :rolleyes:

As for us; just a quiet day much like any other. I'd like to go to the garden center but we probably won't. (Then I'd have to plant stuff and it's hot out there. o_O)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ok, not only Millennials, but early Gen X folks also. In watching the video on CNN from Lake of the Ozarks, I didn't see a person in the 50's. And, we all know that there are those Millennials that just plainly will disobey distancing orders and will say "go ahead and try to make me wear a mask!". There are also some early Gen X people that think the same way. But, what they do is up to them..........that is, until someone in their family gets the virus and possibly dies. Then, their thoughts will change, but too late for that loved one that died.

Bottom Line now is, "oh well".

5. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Upon waking up this morning thinking about all the things that need to be done on this day of observance for all that have served and are serving here in the U.S.A. I made some serious changes.

#1 I am cooking less from now on. I don't care who visits expecting a plate if we ain't got it that's too bad.

Normally Johnny and I share the tasks for the holidays but since his multiple strokes it's all on me. I mean everything.

#2 I will not turn down my 6 year old granddaughter's request to help me do any cleaning within reason.

I always clean as I go when cooking and today I felt like a robot on overdrive synchronizing tasks until the meal was done.

#3 I don't drink but today if I had the heads up I would maybe have had a wine cooler but I had tea instead.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 25, 2020
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Another regular day for us. I remember when I lived in Idaho, it was a special time when we went to the family graves and put on flowers. When I was growing up, my mom had all kinds of flowers, and the lilacs and peonies were blooming around the end of May, as well as her snowball bush, and the day lilies, so she could make beautiful bouquets, and the the fragrance was awesome !

Back then, school also got out just ahead of Memorial Day weekend, so all of the kids were happy to have that freedom, and looking forward to being able to go swimming as soon as Lake Pend O’Reille warmed up a Pugh for us to swim in.

Now, we have our flags out, but do not do anything special. There are already people here shooting off firecrackers at night; but at least we haven’t had any extra people shooting guns.

Bobby Cole and Beth Gallagher like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know why you always have to label people. Just let go of your prejudices for once and say "people". Good grief.

8. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Looked at a few pics of some Memorial Day rodeos and in the ones that were still being held I saw very few masks.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

People will always be "labeled", either by me or others. Another label is.......Upper Class, Middle Class and Lower Class.

So, nobody is prejudice, just stating a fact!

Heck, Beth, even you have a label. It's called, "being a Senior".

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Remember, Bobby, masks are a mandatory thing! We watched part of a PBR event a week ago and everyone, except those dudes on bulls, had masks on and nobody in the stands.

If the rodeo is sanctioned, professionally, like PRCA, IRA or any other, they will, or should, abide by what CDC rules state. But, not everyone at a rodeo can do "distancing" or have to wear a mask.

Yes, Bobby, I will always defend the sport I love!

11. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

The point being that on Memorial Day 2020 the folks I saw IN the stands and riding the bulls etc at a rodeo were doing the exact same thing as those people you admonished in your earlier post. Young folks, old folks and those in the middle do not all do as you would have them do if your were king.

Also on Memorial Day, I watched several seniors and middle aged men and women on FB during the Memorial Day ceremonies and NONE of them were wearing masks or stood 6’ feet apart. So much for the millennial and gen x stuff.
    Oh yeah, I didn’t mention that those at the Memorial Day ceremony were the U.S. Military and the President and Vice President of the U.S.A.

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Whatever, Bobby! :D