Hp All-in-one W-10 Computer

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Hal Pollner, Apr 23, 2020.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Concerning the problems I'm having in successfully navigating the commands to my new HP W10 Computer,
    I recently discovered that the 2 books I bought to assist me in learning my new machine: "Windows 10 For Dummies" and "Windows 10 For Seniors", were both published in 2018 and 2017 respectfully, and have no reference to my machine, which appeared in stores in late 2019.

The new "All-in-One" computer, having the former "Tower" CPU now integrated into the same housing as the monitor, gives the new computer a completely different architecture!

If none of you have the new "All-In-One" version, then your operational knowledge is limited to the same instructional information given in my 2 books.

But if you HAVE an HP W10 machine in the "All-In-One" configuration, then the problem must still lie with ME!

Thanks for listening...
    Hal

Last edited: Apr 23, 2020
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Your computer actually has an instruction manual in it but the problem is that you have to formulate the right query in order to access whatever part of that manual you need to see.
    Maybe you can ask “Cortana”. She’s pretty smart. As long as you do not ask her the meaning of life or some such, you could find the answer to your problems.

Now, instead of using whatever for dummies, a Google search or even a search on YouTube can generally produce just about any answer to a majority of your questions.

Von Jones likes this.
  3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Maybe even a better answer if you Bing it, given that they both are Microsoft products.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

True.

5. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

I have to say, here, that Google does NOT have all of the answers when it comes to very tricky problems with any given computer. Far from it!

AAMOF, if I'm unable to solve a given issue my computer is having, it's almost certain that nobody has the answer, as I'm pretty damn good with computers. What normally happens in the preceding case, is that I end up reading, online, of those with the same, or very similar problem, and the answers giving solutions are ridiculous, solving nothing for me or the people asking for advice.

Ultimately, I'll try lots of different approaches, and, sooner or later, 90% of the time, I'll figure out a solution or workaround.

My latest Google fail involves getting a Samsung Note 9, smart phone, to play very loud ringtones from a downloaded app. I used to have no problem, at all, until the last update, basically ruined my phone, in many ways. No advice gleaned from Google hits has solved the problem. I will next buy a phone that never forces updates. I hate them, as they usually mess things up, most of the time.

6. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

The problems that Hal has will be easy to look up, @Trevalius Guyus. Hal is trying to learn things like how to post a video on the forum.
    Many of us have explained how to do this, and he even printed it out one time, but can’t do it again. If you look at his posts in this tech section, it will make more sense to you.
    You may or may not remember him from SF when people were trying to explain WiFi to Hal and why his modem had an antenna.

Trevalius Guyus and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

Now that you mention it........

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Hal Pollner

Registered

It's too bad that Best Buy is shut down, or I would take it to my Geek Squad weenies, and they'd be able to put my nose right in the fixes.

I'll guess I'll try that Cortana thing...
    Thanks again,
    Hal

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Not everyone here is in the same place, as far as technology goes, and it's not even a matter of age. My son is old enough to be a member of this forum but he has never owned a computer and has no interest in one. He's not a stupid person. He earned a good living in construction, retired well, and has accomplished much. He just isn't into computers. That seems a little odd to me because I bought my first computer while he was still with me. Anyhow, not everyone takes such pride in their computer expertise, but they still might want to be able to figure out how to do some things.

Bobby Cole and Trevalius Guyus like this.
  10. Hal Pollner

Registered

"BING" it? Whatever does that mean?
    Hal

11. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Bing is microsoft’s version of Google. It’s another search engine. If you want to look at it as an alternate to Google, type Bing and follow the instructions.

12. Ken Anderson

Bing is the default search engine in Edge so, unless you've changed the default, that's what you're using.

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

How could I forget that he has W-13!

14. Hal Pollner

Registered

I'll stick with good ol' Google!
    Hal

15. Hal Pollner

Registered

Tried CORTANA, couldn't get anywhere with it.

Couldn't download, couldn't sign on, couldn't talk to it...nothing.

Hal (Oh, how I miss my warm, cuddly Windows 7 computer!)