Hula Hoops

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Bobby Gnomy, Mar 11, 2016.

1. Ruby Begonia

Ruby Begonia Supreme Member
    Registered

I wasnt aware it was a girl thing. Lots of boys in my area used them and had contests with the girls. I guess it depends on where you lived, although I had no idea in some places boys didn't use them.

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I had one in Pittsburgh probably in 1958 and my younger brother never played with it.

3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I had a pogo stick when I was about 9-10, and we only had dirt roads, too, same as @Ken Anderson , with maybe some gravel and oil on them. I have never had very good balance; so after falling on the oily, sharp gravel and skinning up my knees fairly badly; I didn't try pogo-ing out in the street anymore.
    It didn't work in the yard; because the end of the pogo stick just sank in the dirt (and I of course lost my balance and fell off); so that only left the sidewalk.
    The sidewalk was wood and pretty solid, and actually worked , providing that I pogo-ed along in a straight line down the middle of the sidewalk. By now, you can guess how that worked out for me; so the pogo stick spent most of its life alone in the garage.
    Now, Hula Hoops, I loved those ! I learned how to do it, and like @Holly Saunders , I could keep it going around for as long as I wanted to.
    I saw that they made a comeback; so one trip to Walmart, I bought myself one.
    Can't make it go around for beans anymore ! I guess that if I keep practicing that maybe I will get the hang of it again; but it is not going to be as easy as it was back when I was 15, for sure.

Holly Saunders and Chrissy Cross like this.
  4. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

My first two days were a disaster. I could keep spinning for about 15 turns at the most. But, today I was able to spin for 50 times -- twice! Keep practicing, and you'll get the hang of it. At first I was only able to move my body front to back, but today I was able to switch back and forth from front to back to side by side. It really is fun. :D

No one in my 'hood played with a pogo stick. In fact, this forum thread is the first time I ever read about one. I had to research it to see what it was. I suppose you need some solid ground to use it.

The hula hoop has an interesting history. Hula hoop

5. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Veteran Member
    Registered

Check this out!
    Marawa The Amazing Hula Hoop Girl Semi Final Live Britains Got Talent HD

6. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

Well when I saw it on tv I had to have one. When I got one and tried playing with it I couldn't do it. Just like skateboarding, I had to have one and when I got it I couldn't ride it! Hula hoops seem easy to do just as skateboarding was, but I couldn't do it. I tried and tried and it ended up in our garage where it stayed until I grew up and gave it away!