Hurricane Dorian

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Martin Alonzo, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

2. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Like I already said, "we sure are glad we left Jacksonville when we did!".

Bess Barber likes this.
  4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

"Cat 1!!" :D;)

[​IMG]

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Bess Barber ...just try and be safe as possible..and if you lose ìnternet service , just be sure to check back here ..ASAP.
    I have a thread called Roll Call you can use also.

6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Take care , I’ve seen a lot of news reports on TV today about the approaching hurricane

We get cyclones up the top part of Australia ( not where I live thankfully ) but not to the extent of of Hurricane

7. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Wishing all the folks in Florida a better outcome than expected

8. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I absolutely hope you're all safe when it hits Beth , it's a terribly scary thing. Do you have a basement? Pleeeease..check in whenever you can ... to let us know you're safe,. we'll all be praying for you and your family..

Bess Barber and Yvonne Smith like this.
  9. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

At this point it looks like it will be hitting Florida somewhere between Miami and Orlando,so if that happens, Jacksonville should be safe from the worst of the storm.
    They are definitely talking about it crossing over Florida and emerging into the warm waters of the Gulf, and then coming ashore again, making it a double-hitter.
    I guess that depends on what happens when it reaches Florida. Like the map that @Bess Barber posted, the guesses and possibilities are all over the place, so it is a good idea to be prepared if you live in any of the possible areas.
    Saying prayers for you and your family, Bess, and hoping that this storm falls short of expectations and doesn’t do a lot of damage wherever it lands.

30F640C9-F900-4605-9141-DACEE3BF0321.png

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Bobby Cole and Bess Barber like this.
  11. Tom Galty

Tom Galty Veteran Member
    Registered

That's just nasty...shows what a bit of shi= she is.

I have never witness a hurricane or a Tornado don't want to and would not wish on anyone.

We get the up dates over in the UK.

https://more.talktalk.co.uk/news/20...eating-from-absolute-monster-hurricane-dorian

12. Jerry Adams

Jerry Adams Veteran Member
    Registered

I have used this site to track the gulf and Atlantic hurricanes for several years. It has been pretty accurate and is usually updated twice a day.
    You can right click images for enlargement.

NRL Tropical Cyclone Page

https://www.nrlmry.navy.mil/TC.html

Bess Barber, Nancy Hart and Tom Galty like this.
  13. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Bess Barber likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

"SHE." And yes, I realize that she was referring to Mir-A-Lago, but have you ever known a hurricane to single out one house?

Bess Barber and Tom Galty like this.
  15. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

Thanks for all the nice comments!!! We woke up relieved, tentatively, but then you feel guilty knowing it will hit other people just like you. People have the idea that all retired folks in south Florida are rich. This isn't the case. There are millions of seniors and families that simply don't have the money to do anything but stay put and hope for the best. People who are missing time from work and hope they have a job left afterwards. Then there are people like my parents who would have the money and could even rebuild, but with my mom's advanced fibromyalgia, she wouldn't be able to make the trip. It's always a hardship regardless of a person's financial means.

Now that I'm older, I also think of people in nursing homes and advanced care facilities. How in the world are they going to be able to rest on a cot or have all their dietary needs met? Sure, we could all migrate to Nebraska, but I don't think there is a place in the world which doesn't come with it's own catastrophic possibilities.

We did have a hurricane a few years ago named Charlie that went across Florida, actually close to the path shown now, strengthened in the gulf and came back through almost in the same place. It took years to get all the issues settled. Insurance generally covers wind, not flooding, unless a person has purchased a quite costly policy specifically for that. This was also the problem with Katrina in the New Orleans area. People didn't have flood insurance.

Anyway, other than some minor annoyances, our area is safe. Maybe some localized flooding, but that happens during lots of rain anyway.