Hurricane Matthew Hitting Haiti Next

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 3, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They are saying that this is the worst hurricane in at least the last 10 years, and it is likely to do a great deal of damage to the Island of Haiti. Although it misses directly going over the Dominican Republic, where our friend @Martin Alonzo lives, I am sure that the DR will also be having heavy storms from this hurricane.
    I know that he was saying before that they needed rain; and this is likely to bring them a lot more than they needed.
    I have always wanted to go on one of those short cruises down to the Bahamas and back; but this is not a good time for the people who have a cruise booked in that area, and I imagine that the cruise ships are headed for port somewhere right now, too.
    It looks like then it will continue on up the eastern coastline of the United States, and even if it is not still a hurricane catagory by then, the coastal states will probably be getting rain and winds.

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/refresh/graphics_at4+shtml/145545.shtml?tswind120#contents

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Cruises in these areas make contingency plans since there's always a hurricane or tropical storm in those areas.

When I went on the wedding cruise, we had to go to a different port because of a tropical storm...don't think it was a hurricane. Think we went to Cozumel instead of Jamaica.

It was a little rough and the ones that get sea sick (the bride) my daughter, my sister took their meds and were fine.

Hope everyone in its path stays safe!

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes we had some well needed rain two days ago as it passed south of the DR now it is turning north and will pass by Haiti maybe catching the tip. Pray for the people in Haiti who are still living in tents because the billions of dollars of relief went to Hillary’s bank account. As of this moment it is quiet here but look forward to a lot of rain tomorrow afternoon as it passes directly west of us.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2016
  4. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems to me that nature is getting back at us. I used to think that typhoons were only for our country and only in the digital age did I know that typhoons, storms and floods also attack other countries like that hurricane Katrina that inundated Louisiana. And now it's Haiti's turn to receive the blows of Mother Nature. Well, evacuation should be in progress by this time.

It's quite strange that Metro Manila was not hit by a strong typhoon last year and no floods either. For this year, it's already October so maybe it will be that way as well - no strong typhoon, no floods.

5. Martin Alonzo

Registered

The Category 4 Hurricane set to devastate Haiti with 145MPH winds, 40 inches of rain, and 12 foot storm surge looks to be an unprecedented human tragedy with the country failing to recover after the 2010 earthquake with many in Haiti faulting the State Department, Clinton Foundation.
    Two weeks ago the former Senate President of Haiti Bernard Sansaricq told a crowd of Donald Trump supporters that the Clinton Foundation stole "billions" from the Haiti relief fund following the tragic earthquake that left some 316,000 people dead due to the cascade of weakly supported structures and an outbreak of cholera.

Read more: https://sputniknews.com/world/20161003/1045934782/hurricane-matthew-hillary-haiti-earthquake.html

6. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

I know it is really scary. I am really worried for the people of the Carribbean, and also this area. Virginia had a terrible time with Hurricane Isabel in 2003, and had a devastating blow on this whole area. ALso, Hurricane Gaston in 2005 caused at least 5 people to drown in Richmond in 2005. Hopefully this storm will be more an annoyance more than devastating, but I fear this is not the case, this is one powerful storm by all accounts.

7. Yvonne Smith

I am proud to say that America is going to the rescue yet again ! As a country, for as long as I can remember, we have send aid, both in money, food, and troops to help when ANY country has had a disaster.
    I just read that we are sending $400,000 (hopefully NOT through the Clinton Foundation) to help out, and we already have supplies ready to fly in, and 500 troops will be going there as well.
    And this is just the things which our government is doing; so it doesn't even count the donations from charitable organizations that will also be sent to help Haiti.
    Maybe this time, the money and help will actually get there and they can repair the ecountry like should have happened after the earthquake when the Clintons stole the aid donations.

https://www.yahoo.com/news/u-providing-400-000-aid-haiti-jamaica-hurricane-015031986--finance.html

Marilyn Pahl and Patsy Faye like this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I read this morning that 11 people were killed in Haiti so far!

9. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Instead of sending some NCO to watch where the money is spent just give it to the poor they know more than some rich ass who thinks he knows more than the people who live there. Surprising as it might be this gigantic hurricane went by and we did not get any rain I marked the map as to where I live. This point was without any rain through the storm you can see how the clouds part.
    carrb.jpg

10. Yvonne Smith

Here is the latest videos on what the hurricane Matthew is doing now. They have quite a few possibilities of where it might go next. One possibility is that it might take a turn west and go across Florida and into the Gulf of Mexico, and if that happens, it is anybody's guess where it would come ashore next.
    If Matthew goes west and makes landfall elsewhere, then it will not connect with Nichole ; but that urricane is now picking up more force and still on a course for the East Coast.
    Both of these could continue to be a problem for the next few days, it looks like.
    The person who posted this on Youtube lives near Pensacola, so he will be keeping people updated on what is coming next.

11. Martin Alonzo

Registered

I was living on my boat in Florida for two hurricanes and know there is not much in protection no mountains just flat lands and the wind will not slow unless it has something that gives resistance. A cat.4 will make a real mess of things.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

The Red Cross has been known to steal more than it's fair share too.

Marilyn Pahl and Sheldon Scott like this.
  13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Hope @Cody Fousnaugh is okay, he hasn't posted in a few days, since Tuesday I think. Not sure where he is in Florida but in my head I see one post of his where he mentions JAX.

Marilyn Pahl likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Here I am!
    It's now 11:45AM Friday. Our apt. complex is some 20 miles from the beach areas. Our address city is Jacksonville. We were not in an vacuation area and are in our apartment.
    Currently, we are having some high winds and periods of heavy rain from the "outer bands" of Mathew. The "eye" will be some 50 miles off of our beaches around 2PM or so. We will definerly "feel" the wind/rain of this hurricane, but the beach areas will definitely get hit hard.
    Sort of surprising but most of the residents that live here are still here.

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered