I Am Confused About This Medicine Commercial

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Steve North, Feb 16, 2020.

1. Steve North

Steve North Supreme Member
    Registered

OK... I'm not sure if it goes here or not, but I will post it on here..

I am totally confused and I need your explanation on this one....

I was watching TV (an American station) and a commercial came on about some sort of drug.. I'm not sure which one but ....
    They talked about the greatness of taking the drug and then they talked about the side effects...
    They went on with this side effect and that one and at the end they said it....... could cause death...
    Now, if that isn't bad enough, they said (and I mean it)
    " in the event of death, please contact your health professional immediately"...
    Could you explain to me that last statement.. if you die, how can you contact anyone?????

Now, why would anyone want to take that drug in any case if it is that dangerous ???

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Welcome to American tv. I mute all commericals especially health related ones. I have often wondered myself how I would contact them in the event of my death. I guess the ad has not been edited properly.

3. Steve North

Registered

My point is.......................... Who in their right mind would want to take that medicine ???
    C'mon.... Might cause death ???
    And then they go on to say that in the event of death, contact your doctor .....
    Are we all that stupid ???

Lois Winters and Sheldon Scott like this.
  4. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

I heard that commercial but can't remember what it was for. I don't normally watch them but occasionally forget to mute them.

5. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

It's most certainly rare to hear that mentioned in a TV spot but mentioning even extreme consequences of medicine and the like must often be done in order to hedge against potential claims no matter how likely these damages are (even if it's one case in a million). Manufacturers are just forced by their insurance companies to include that in the small print.
    Not a medicament, though, but a neighbor of mine showed me the small print of an inversion table she'd bought which also included those fatal consequences of using it.

In your case, contacting a doctor can only mean that those persons becoming aware of the death of someone else ought to contact the doctor of the person passed away.

Lois Winters likes this.
  6. Steve North

Registered

Thomas.... You are not wrong about the having to mention all possible side effects.... however ....
    In the event of a death, I am positive the doctor can't do anything for you at that stage... its too late..
    Why contact the doctor instead of the proper authorities..
    The other question I don't understand is why wouldn't you go see a doctor in the first place to get the proper medicine that won't kill you..

Jeff Elohim likes this.
  7. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

No doubt, that commercial is weird, Steve. I'm not defending it just trying to make sense of it.

As you know, I haven't seen it but there are similar ones in my and, maybe, other countries. Pharmaceutical companies have been running advert campaigns for nonprescription medicaments. I think that's the case here as well. So one doesn't have to see the doctor beforehand and a lot of people may do just that. That's why pharma firms want to be on the safe side.
    And, at least in my country, at the end of any TV spot they are required by law to refer TV viewers to ask their doctors or pharmacists for advice and read the patient information leaflet before any of the medication is used.
    If you try to make sense of it, which is hard enough, they can't possibly have had the drug taker themselves in mind but possible witnesses. For them a doctor may be more easily contactible than any authorities of which you wouldn't know which one to contact. The underlying idea might be that some doctors pass that information on to the respective pharma firms and may or may not get kickbacks.

8. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Many of these over-the-counter patent medicines have so many cautions against their use, that instead of listing them all, the ad should state: "We don't recommend your using this medicine at all."

Hal

Hedi Mitchell likes this.
  9. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

If you see an advertisement that states "could result in death"... how do they know?

I think the law requires they (drug companies and advertisers) explain all the side effects, which were experienced during the drug trials. Advertisers know us all too well. You listened to the entirety of the commercial, but the advertisers are targeting those individuals that immediately recognize the symptons portrayed as something the individuals might experience and while the individual is making a mental note to talk to their doctor... they generally ignore the rest or take it with a grain of salt (metaphorically, as salt is bad for you... maybe). Then the individual goes to their doctor and asks for the medicine. If the doctor ignores the request, we doctor shop until we get a prescription. It's the American way!!

As to the death thing... it is an important disclaimer and notification. 1st ... you were told, but didn't listen. 2nd... notifying the healthcare provider of death provides the drug company and healthcare provider an important head's up, to get their stories straight and line up their malpractice defense against the inevitable lawsuit the family will file after the funeral. We are a litigious society. Again, it's the American way!!

Edit: Aside from the death side effect, you can bet there is another drug to treat most of those side effects.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2020
  10. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

There is no mention of who would take the pill.

11. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I've seen that ridiculous commercial, too. I think all prescription medication advertisements should be banned from TV.

Trevalius Guyus and Yvonne Smith like this.
  12. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

Agree with that 100%. I suppose some drs. love it because their patient comes in and asks for a drug. I also think they should stop lawyer advertising.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  13. Steve North

Registered

Now there is a problem..
    if they stop drug advertising, there goes a fortune of money in advertising.. They keep the networks alive..

As for the lawyers, that is another thing..... Any lawyer firm that is good will not advertise because they have enough clients..
    Only those that need more business advertise, and the cost of the adds are paid for by the client in the long run....

14. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

Here's one "side effect" that definitely needs to be listed on some drugs: "Warning: Causes extreme poverty".

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  15. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

nearly all the ads for prescription drugs name serious side effects....

but people keep taking lots of them