Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I got a shipment notice from UPS today; the watch is in Shanghai, China. :D ETA is the 14th, so I guess it will be "factory fresh."

John Brunner and Yvonne Smith like this.
  2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

They're waiting for the last run of Happy Meal toys to get off the belt so they can fire up production of the new watches.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, the angst on the Fanbois forum; they are "refreshing" their order info 47 times an hour. :D

John Brunner likes this.
  4. John Brunner

It is insane.

Back in the 80s-mid 90s I managed purchasing/inventory/vendors for a reseller of computer hardware and software. We carried 55,000 products from about 600 vendors, doing $500 million a year. Apple Computer was one of those vendors. They had the education and graphics design markets...hardly a real threat to anyone else, and hardly much chance of expanding into other markets due to their price structure.

Who could have foreseen where they are today?

I do such a poor job of seeing opportunities. Mutual Funds were invented for people like me.

5. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So after waiting 2 weeks for my watch to ship from China, it finally arrived and I decided I don't like the space gray color after all. :rolleyes: So I packed it up to return and placed an order for the rose gold color from Amazon around 1 a.m. on Tuesday morning. It was delivered by an Amazon driver 14 hours later. Leave it to Amazon to beat Apple at their own game.

Returning the one to Apple cancelled my trade-in, but I had already decided to keep that watch anyhow and give it to my daughter.

My blood oxygen level is 99% and my EKG is normal. Whew. :D:D:cool:

Terry Coywin and Yvonne Smith like this.
  6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Was that a pig I just saw whizzing by my window??? It must have been, because I offered my older Apple watch to my husband and he decided to try it. So I unpaired it from my phone and handed it over. I'm sure he'll lose interest in a day or two and it will be in a drawer with a dead battery, but whatever. :D

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You never know, @Beth Gallagher . When Robin gave me my first Apple Watch, I fell in love immediately, and soon I believed that Bobby would really like one, too; but he insisted that he didn’t want one.
    I found one on sale and got it for him, and he realized that he didn’t have to pack his phone around as much (the first ones were just GPS, not cellular), and he really loved his, too.
    Now that we have the cellular ones, he hardly ever carries his phone anywhere. He has his iPad set up so that he can answer the phone with that, and if we are gone somewhere, he uses the Apple Watch.
    He really likes being liberated from the phone !
    We also both like the activity rings, and strive to close all of them, or at least some of them, and get the “celebration” when we close the rings.
    When Bobby makes coffee, he sets the timer on his watch so he knows exactly when to go and get his cup of coffee from the coffee maker.
    So, it is entirely possible that your husband will really like his Apple Watch, too.

8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

We'll see how it goes, Yvonne. If he decides he doesn't want it then I'm sure one of the kids will. It's a GPS model, so he will need to be relatively close to his phone... but he will probably use it for telling time so not a huge deal. :D

9. John Brunner

When you said "apple watch," he figured you were going on a excursion to see them ripen.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  10. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have a apple (6) watch which I’ve mentioned before ,however mine ( and hubbies ) never had the ECG option . ( it’s listed in the settings)

I use my phone which has an app for adding / adjusting / reading any app programs on watch .

Last night on TV current affairs program they had a segment about the ECG function / use on the watch which is going to be available to Australian Apple Watch owners I about 2 weeks time , it was very interesting a cardiologist tested a man with known heart issue using the traditional methods ,then used the apple watch ECG function which resulted in exactly the same readings as the doctors expensive machine

@Yvonne Smith Do you have the ECG on your Apple Watch ? if so do you use it to keep an eye on your health

Bobby Cole likes this.
  11. Yvonne Smith

I do have the ECG function. I do not use it a lot, but if I feel like my heart might be acting funny, then I do use the ECG to check it out and make sure that it is still in sinus rhythm.
    My new one also had the blood oxygen level setting, and I use that a lot more. My level is usually between 97-100, but sometimes drops low overnight. Since the watch might take a reading when my hand is not perfectly level, it is possible that the nighttime readings are not always correct.
    I like the sleep app, too, because I can see what my overnight heart rate was, but I can also see that just by checking the heart rate on the watch.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Ours has the oxygen readings and yes if and when I think of taking it .it will fail because my hand is not still or level enough ...from what a gathered about the segment on TV last night apple had to get the permission of the Aust Health commission to activate the ECG on Aussie watches

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  13. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

Any watch that gives more than the Time of Day is superfluous.

015 (3).jpg

14. John Brunner

@Yvonne Smith

We were talking on another thread about Apple phones (which are required to drive Apple watches.)

What would an iPhone have that might make me spend the $$$ to replace my Android?
    And for those who have made the transition from Droid to Apple: how difficult is it?

15. Yvonne Smith

I have no answers for you, @John Brunner .
    Everything that I have ever had is Apple. Everyone in my whole family has Apple. All Apple products work beautifully together, but I can’t tell you what an iPhone has, compared to your android phone.
    There are all sorts of youtube videos, and like everything else, some have smiles for the iPhone, and some have smiles for the Android.
    Hopefully, someone else here will know enough about other phones to help you make a comparison.
    I think that the Apple Watch with its cellular connection might be the only smart watch that you can use without having to be able to connect with your phone’s Bluetooth to make calls, but I am not sure about this.

John Brunner likes this.