Wonderful Apple Watch!

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Yvonne Smith, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

It absolutely does also give you the time of day, and you can choose any kind of watch face you want to look at..... from basic numbers, to Mickey (or Minnie) Mouse, to an astronomy watch face that will not only show you the time, where in the world you are located, where the sun is/isn’t shining, and you can even see the phases of the moon and the diagram of the planets . I think that would probably be something that you would just LOVE, @Hal Pollner , with your interest in astronomy !

Here is a little video that shows just some of the different watch faces for an Apple Watch so you can see how versatile it is for giving you the time of day. There are many other different looks that you can have, and it is simple to change the face in a few seconds when you want a different watch face.

2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

@Yvonne Smith -- I have a couple of questions about the Series 5 Apple watch. First, if I buy the model with cellular/GPS, do I need to pay for an additional phone line with Verizon? (I'm sure Verizon wants to squeeze me for more $$.) If there are additional fees from the carrier I'll just go with the GPS model.

Second, regarding the heart monitoring/ECG app... is the app a paid add-on or does it come preloaded on the watch?

I have read that the Series 6 will be coming soon, along with improved battery life and sleep tracking. I have zero interest in sleep tracking so I think the 5 will work for me. My Fitbit died today and I will have to send it to them for repair/replacement. I have no idea how long that will take with the reduction in customer service these days so I'm going to buy a new Apple watch.

3. Yvonne Smith

If you get the cellular, then there is an extra charge. You would have to ask Verizon how much it is. The GPS works fine, as long as you have the phone somewhere close to the watch. My first one was not cellular, and I just carried my phone in my purse when I went somewhere, but I could still answer the phone from the watch.
    If you get the cellular model, you do not need to have the phone , but I find that I want mine along anyway, because you can’t text with the watch, except for preprogrammed responses.
    It is a matter of which would work best for you.

If you get a series 4-5, it has the EKG on the watch. You can do sleep tracking with any Apple Watch , you just choose a sleep tracking app that you like and it works with the watch. I have one called Sleepmatic, but there are other choices.
    I like sleep tracking, because I can see what my heart is doing when I am asleep and can’t feel it. That is how I knew it was going so slow overnight, and needed to talk with my doctor about the pacemaker.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks. I don't think I'll bother with cellular; I don't see the benefit in that. :D I had an earlier Apple watch; I believe it was the series 2. It was OK but the battery life was dismal. I gave it to my granddaughter last year because I preferred the Fitbit for fitness tracking.

Amazon has the Series 3 for $169 but I think I'll go with the 5. I appreciate your response!

5. Yvonne Smith

This screenshot from Sleepmatic is when my heart was in a fib last month, You can see how wildly my heart rate was changing.
    When it is working in sinus rhythm, it mostly stays right around 60 BPM, because that is where the pacemaker keeps it. If you think that you want to monitor your heart rhythm, the sleep tracker and the watch work together to do that.

FBF05918-7BC6-4D70-9DA1-A02A665E4208.jpeg

Last edited: Jul 11, 2020
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  6. Yvonne Smith

This is a screenshot from the Apple Watch, and you can see what my heart rate has been doing since midnight last night.

8F4A6958-5CD8-48B1-AB5B-FFBF9EA2D1BB.jpeg

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Good for you for embracing anything that makes your life better, Yvonne.
    This is the "good" technology is supposed to bring into our lives.

I recall them saying that the Star Trek communicators were the inspiration for cell phones, but it was actually this guy who inspired the first mobile phones, with his radio watch being introduced in 1946:

[​IMG]

Living alone here in the country, I like the idea of having the 911 feature handy. I carry my phone when I'm outside for such a purpose.

I know that all cell phones still let 911 calls go through even if they're not on a cell plan (this is why used cell phones have value to Battered Women's Shelters). I wonder if I could pick up a used Apple Watch solely for emergency services and not have to pay for a cell account to have that function.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

I still don't approve of Apple Watches. They look like something you might buy your 10-year-old.

9. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, then don't buy one. :D

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

No. The Apple watch is set up via an iPhone app. :D You need "Medic Alert."

[​IMG]

11. John Brunner

So it's not a separate communications device?

(I've often wondered if gifs have not triggered episodes of epilepsy. They really need a "Number of Repetitions" setting.)

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Perhaps I'm a Democrat because I believe that, if I don't like something, no one else should be able to buy it either.

John Brunner likes this.
  13. John Brunner

Conservative Technophobe: "I don't want an Apple watch."
    Democrat Technophobe: "You can't have an Apple watch!"

I don't know whether to laugh or cry.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well... yes and no. :D You have to have the watch app on an iPhone to set up the watch and do any customization, etc. I'm not sure how the newer ones with cellular capability work as far as the phone, but I'm sure you'd probably still need it tied to the app.

John Brunner likes this.
  15. John Brunner

I just looked.

You can connect to the web via a wireless network, but not do other stuff (like make phone calls.)