I Ask For Advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Frank Sanoica, Dec 22, 2018.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

I yearn to share my knowledge with those needing, and eager to learn, the youthful adults. I sensed the great personal satisfaction returned when I taught math at Bunker High School 2002-03. I do not expect to gain anything except personal satisfaction, no compensation. I tried to join our Community College Staff to teach Electric Theory a few years ago; one of my alma maters could not produce a transcript proving my graduation in 1963. They really wanted me, but policy prevailed. Try as I might, they would not bend.

Now, I ask you folks, my forum friends: How might I go about offering to tutor Math, or Science, by today's sophisticated means? I do not seek money, only personal satisfaction.

Blog? I don't even know the meaning of this. Past, the bulletin board prevailed, do they still exist? I fear I will croak taking this vast storehouse with me, and see it as the worst possible waste of my abilities to have happened over a lifetime. I don't want to go without at least helping promote knowledge, even at the last minute.

Help? Frank

Bobby Cole and Lulu Moppet like this.
  2. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

If your aspiration is to teach groups of students as an instructor affiliated to or representing any kind of institution, then you may be making life unnecessarily difficult for yourself. If you just want to help by passing on your knowledge, why not do that as a tutor offering private lessons and coaching students individually and on a purely private basis? You could place ads and see what happens.

As for your transcript, don't you have a certificate stating your graduation? Did it get lost?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2018
  3. Beatrice Taylor

Beatrice Taylor Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems like the local high school guidance counselor, small-town library, boy scouts, even the county jail could help you find some kids that need a tutor or would allow you to set up an advanced math/science club to challenge some of the local nerds with more advanced interests. Also check adult learning centers for dropouts, adults, and recent immigrants that are working on getting a GED. http://www.azed.gov/adultedservices/

Good luck!

4. Lulu Moppet

Lulu Moppet Veteran Member
    Registered

Your local library probably wants volunteers to match with kids needing homework help and tutoring. Also, Craigslist?

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Not sure if this is relevant, Frank....Good luck in your search!

A Teaching Moment

[​IMG]

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

All the above plus one.
    If you can get friendly with your local Dept. of Social Servioes, they will probably have programs already installed for after school students who need extra help with homework, life skills, etc.
    At the very least, someone with that department might be able to lead you in a good direction.

Good Luck with your endeavor @Frank Sanoica. It sounds like you’ve reached a great point in your life! :)

7. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Thomas Stearn
    Yes, I have a diploma; they would not accept that. Not sure about placing ads....how much liability might one incur nowadays for offering to teach without teaching credentials?
    Frank

Beatrice Taylor and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Frank it sounds like you have come across the Mother of all Imponderables! Are you sure, that you have no copies of your missing transcripts, that you have "filed" away, years ago....amidst your mountain of files and memorabilia?

Maybe you need a time machine......

[​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 23, 2018