I Broke My Back

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Ken Anderson, Oct 6, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Yes, I was at the hospital when I made the OP but was home by the second. The pain has not abated. Just moving my arm hurts my back so I probably won't be online a lot. I don't dare get back on the recliner because it was quite a feat getting out of it.

As much as she has tried in the past, Ella was innocent in this. She is scared. She knows something is wrong and it worries her.

2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Aha!! You hit the nail on the head!! The back thing is just a ploy to get his meals served to him in his easy chair! Next thing ya know he’ll have a little brass bell next to him so Michelle will know when she is needed to fluff his pillow or bring him a Sarsparilla or a cup of lightly minted tea.
    Yeah, winter is coming and the poor dear will be out there chopping wood, milking the cows, feeding the chickens and then slaving over a hot stove.

3. Ken Anderson

I have a bell, a whistle, a clicker, and a horn. None of them work.

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Then just yell...

MICHELLE!!

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We are vulnerable when we are young, but at our age now, it's can be unbelievable how vulnerable we all are to falls. I was very, very lucky that I wasn't hurt anymore than I was with my bathroom fall.

Bess Barber likes this.
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

That's true Cody, but for once please have some empathy for someone else...this isn't about you !!!!

7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

It has been my experience that there are times when a man has to resort to a more heinous weapon in order to get the attention of his mate.
    We, as married men, all know that yelling will never get the attention of a female as much as simply whispering......chocolate....does.

8. Ken Anderson

If I still had an ambulance company, I'd have someone strap me onto a backboard and lean me up against the wall. That sounds like something that would feel good. I was reasonably comfortable in a recliner but I have to weigh the tremendous difficulty of getting to the recliner and, eventually, getting back out it against the benefits of being in it. Walking helps, or standing with my back against a wall, until that starts hurting. I am not big on pain pills. For one thing, I think we are given pain so that we know what we should be doing and what we shouldn't be doing. For another, I have never found them to be a lot of help.

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry you are going through all this, Ken. Hope you start feeling better soon. :(

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

While I do agree with you that pain is nature’s warning that we should not be doing something that we are trying to do, in this case, @Ken Anderson , I totally am in agreement with @Chrissy Cross that taking pain medication is a good idea.
    You are in enough pain that even if it is medicated, you’re not apt to dash outside and change the engine in your Tracker, or anything even close to that; so you don’t need the pain to stop you from having those thoughts right now.
    However, when we are in extreme pain, all of our muscles will clench up tight, and this does slow down recovery.
    I don’t use pain meds unless my back is too seized up for me to walk, but when I am in that condition, being able to relax the back muscles helps a lot with my back getting better overnight.
    I usually use hot shower (if I am able), and heating pad on my back, and take a couple of Aleves, and then just rest.

11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

My heatng pad is my best friend now...

It does help...at least minor aches ....it alone won’t help what you did though...

My husband’s oncologist told him to take his pain meds if needed, he’ll heal faster.

You only really need the strong ones for a few days...won’t become addicted on that short a time.

Why suffer??

Last edited: Oct 6, 2019
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Why did I get "thumped" for this reply now??? I know it's not about me, but I just like talking. Heck, I even told him that we'd keep him in our prayers.

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yeah @Ken Anderson, it’s not like you’re going to take a pain med and then go running outside singing excepts from the Sound of Music or anything. At least you will be able to get a little rest and then get mobile so you can see a Chiropractor or whomever and do it halfway comfortably.

14. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear about the fall, hope healing doesn't take too long. Shoes are so important and I wear good stable shoes all the time.

Bess Barber and Micki Pembroke like this.
  15. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

@Ken Anderson So sorry you had a fall, i'm sure you're feeling a lot of pain. Stairs are always an issue one way or another. Take it easy, and heal, it will be a while, Rest. 9ea5f777-20a1-4a01-9f6d-3d9c44801dcb.jpeg