I Can Give You Three Ships. Good Luck

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Joe Riley, Oct 9, 2016.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Holly Saunders and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

I watched one of the Mystery Of The Museum episodes last weekend, and they showed a barn that was reconstructed out of an old ship. The beams had markings on them that they traced back to the old Mayflower.

So they now know where and what happened to the most famous of the three ships that brought some of the first settlers to this country. They just disassembled the ship, and reassembled it exactly the same way it came apart, but upside down.

It has stood up to the passage of time, and will probably be there for another 300 years or more.

Holly Saunders and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

The end of the Mayflower
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    The "Mayflower Barn" in Jordans, England. This barn was identified in the 1920s as having been made from the remnants of the Mayflower. The evidence is entirely unconvincing, but that has not stopped it from becoming a tourist attraction nonetheless. Image courtesy of Wikipedia Commons.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Joe...Jordans (where the Mayflower Barn is on Jordan's farm), is a little tiny village of about 250 households in a slightly larger upmarket village.. a short drive away from where I live on the edge of London...

The Barn pre-dates 1618 which was the first recorded mention of it being sold ..

The Village is also the resting place of William Penn the Quaker and Founder member of Pennsylvania USA

Today it's a very upmarket area..and has several British celebrities as residents in the village...including Ozzy and Sharon Osborne

Funny how we can go from Penn to Osborne, in one sentence isn't it.. ?:eek::D:D

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

How odd! What's next Sean Penn is related to William?! Here is a Google map view of Ozzy's house, with Penn buried a half a mile away.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2016
  6. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes I know that area very well.... :D

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered