I Can Remember

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ken Anderson, Sep 4, 2015.

1. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

It's high in certain states further south on I95, too... I know that the first time I saw one of those signs was kind of strange since I'd not seen anything higher than 55 before that. (At least not since I was old enough to pay attention to speed limit signs.) I know there are some 70 spots, but I'm not recalling any 75.

Anyone think you'd like driving the Autobahn? That would scare the life out of me!

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

When I was growing up in north Idaho, we never ever locked the door to the house or the car, and my mom usually left the car keys in the ignition. In the summertime, we slept with the door open so the cooler air could come through the screen doors.
    Mom grew lots of raspberries and blackberries, and she would send me down the street with bowls of berries for some of the families with lots of kids and not much money.
    We also played outside and never worried about who owned the empty wooded properties where we built our forts and played in the trees. We stayed outside at night until the 10-0'clock whistle went off, and then we knew it was time to go home and get cleaned up for bedtime.

On Halloween, we all put on costumes we made ourselves, and took our brown grocery bags and headed out in groups of 3-4 kids. We went all over our small town, and we're out until around 8-9 at night, after which time, the adults considered that it was either too late for more trick-or-treaters, or they had already run out of goodies to give us.
    No one worried that something might be dangerous to eat, or even that it was not a good thing for us to all be out so late at night wandering around town.
    I remember singing "Jingle Bells" because there was one older lady who always made us kids sing something to get one of her home-made cookies.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I've driven on the autobahn, Mari. When I lived in Hungary those years would often visit Germany, Austria, etc.

I went pretty fast too. I used to be pretty fearless, not so much now days, lol.

Lara Moss and Mari North like this.
  4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I've driven on the autobahn , I used to live and work in Frankfurt....scared me a little bit because of the way the laws worked at the time...but eventually you get used to it.. but I'd still prefer to have our road rules in the UK...just wish we didn't have all the gridlocks

Chrissy Cross and Mari North like this.
  5. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

Yes, indeed. NECCO is still very much alive, and still making wafers as well as other products.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember Necco wafers and did like them as a child, don't think I would care for them too much now.

My favorite candy if I'm going to eat candy is sour patch kids! Just had one in my hand at the checkout the other day, but put it back after looking at the calories in one bag. I could eat the 3 servings in one sitting.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  8. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Funny I never heard of Necco wafers. I did have a car I had to crank to start. The gas and spark were on the steering column.

Chrissy Cross and Ike Willis like this.
  9. Ken Anderson

I still like Necco wafers, although I almost never buy them anymore, since I don't each much candy.

necco-wafers.jpg

Ike Willis likes this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Ah, hard candy. When my dad was trying to teach me to shoot, he would buy a big bag of hard candy to use as targets. When hit, they exploded in many small pieces that dissolved in rain. The problem was to keep me from eating the targets before we got to our shooting spot.:D

Yvonne Smith and Chrissy Cross like this.
  11. Ken Anderson

I saw them in the store, so I bought a roll of Nekko wafers today and I have to say that they are as good as they ever were. Not too sweet or too hard. I won't be buying them often because candy is candy, and I don't need candy, but they are good.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember when our pets ate the same things we did, lived outside for the most part, and died natural deaths.
    I remember when schools had long recesses and you actually had free time to get to know each other...and school was a fun place to be (except if you got a mean teacher).
    I remember when people didn't plan how many children they were going to have but just trusted God to know how many to send them.
    I remember when playing baseball, etc. was just for fun and cost nothing but the price of a baseball and bat, etc.
    I remember cloth diapers, hand me down clothes, one pair of shoes for the summer (which were usually flip flops) and one pair for winter.
    I remember when we didn't buy Christmas trees or ornaments but chopped them down and made the ornaments for the tree.
    I remember when families actually sat down and ate supper together and other meals too and talked to each other while doing so.
    I remember when a penny could buy Mary Janes, toosie rolls, or 2 giant cookies at the Country store by our house.
    I remember when our food supply was naturally organic and not filled with chemicals, antibiotics, etc.
    I remember when we would sleep outside on the screened porch in the summer time in just our underwear.
    I remember when everyone believed in God, and had a Bible in their homes with marriages, births, and deaths recorded in it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2016
  13. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I remember walking to school with my sisters and not bussed to the other side of town.
    I remember when street lights lit up the sidewalks and there were no shadows to be cautious of.
    I remember the outdoor plumbing too and the wringer on the washing machine that squeezed excess water out of the clothes that were hand fed between two cylinders that were attached to a handle that had to be turned which pulled the clothes through and this is the house that Jack built:D

Ike Willis likes this.
  14. Ken Anderson

As I remember it, this is the kind of phone we had when I was young. I was pretty young then, so this might not have been it exactly, but it's pretty close.

crank-phone.jpg

Our number was short-short-long. Whenever anyone on our party line received a call, it would ring everyone's phone so you would listen for your number. If there were two short rings and a long one, it was for us. My mother knew everyone's number, of course. If the call was for one of her sisters, she would give her a moment to answer the phone, then she would pick it up quietly and listen. If it was a private call, she would carefully hang up the phone but, as was often the case, if it was someone else she knew, she would join in.

To make a call, you would take the receiver off the hook and crank the phone around a few times. The operator would be someone local who had the phone operator equipment in her house, and everyone knew her by her first name. Mom would simply have to give the first name of whoever she wanted to call, if it was someone local, and the operator would put the call through.

15. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

Speaking of lightning bugs, remember flashlight tag? Shadow Tag?
    Remember Tetherball?

12654250_1019098284842410_3576683190472871251_n.jpg