I Hate My New Eye Glasses

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Jan 1, 2020.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't know why I have such difficulty finding comfortable eye glasses. I should finally learn that I cannot wear any glasses with "nose pieces" because they absolutely make me crazy. I always have to revert back to molded plastic frames (see avatar) and I'd really like to wear something different.

Last year I ordered a pair of wire frames (with progressive lenses) and could never wear them. I don't know if there is something about the bridge of my nose or what, but those nose piece things just HURT. I had them adjusted several times and ended up having new lenses put in the old frames that are comfortable but ugly. So a lot of money wasted on those wire frames. :rolleyes:

Never one to learn from past mistakes, this year I tried on 5,000 pairs of glasses and got talked into lightweight titanium frames with "frameless" lenses, that have little silicone pads for the bridge of the nose. I thought I'd have better luck with them (and they cost an arm and 2 legs) but noooooooooooooooo. I've had them for several days and they are making me crazy(er). I know everyone says "give it time, you have to get used to them" but they hurt my nose! Dang it.

So now I'm going to have to be "that woman" who goes back to annoy the optician yet again.

Bobby Cole and Holly Saunders like this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I feel for you, because I kinda have a similar problem.,

I'm Long sighted, with a very high prescription so my lenses have to be thinned a lot , and not every frame can hold the weight of the lenses or the way they have to be shaped when they are thinned, so as as like you I really find specs with nose-pads horribly uncomfortable, and because my lenses mean despite being thinned, are of a shape when they do get thinned not suitable for any framelesss specs ( the latter of which I would prefer)..

..I';m stuck always with the plastic padless nose-bridge frames , but yet although more comfortable I feel that with those, they tend to ''wear your face'' rather than more delicate lighter frames which your face is wearing instead...in other words, less noticeable on your face than the more bulky frame of the smooth nose bridge type...

I too have spent literally £££££'sof pounds over the years on lenses, and frames, not forgetting constacts ..and still not got anything that really suits me...

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Isn't it frustrating, Holly? I don't know why I have such a problem... and I have also tried contacts and every style of glasses in the past few years. Also, it's hard to select frames because when trying them on, I can't SEE!! :confused:

My husband goes in at the same time, tries on 2 pairs, picks one, and then when they are made he just puts them on and goes about his business. I really hate that. :p

Holly Saunders likes this.
  4. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

I don't have to wear glasses all the time, but usually I am doing something which requires me to have them on. I can't do the nose pieces or any sort of metal frame. Like you, they just really hurt my nose. I bought a whole set (4 , I think) of reading glasses from Amazon which were plastic frame. Without even trying them on, they ended up fitting so perfectly and comfortably until I forget I even have them on. I suppose all you can do is go to a frame store and keep trying on pairs until you find a model that really is comfortable for you. Then buy more than one of those, so you'll have extra down the road if your prescription changes. If you just get the prescription, any eye glass place can fill it for you and save you a trip to the optician in the future.

Lois Winters likes this.
  5. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I seldom wear glasses now that I had my cataracts removed and new lenses implanted, but I am with you, Beth. When I read for a long period, I do wear them and cannot stand nose pieces either.

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I used to be the same way, Bess. I still have a zillion pairs of readers scattered about. :D A couple of years ago I finally failed my eye test at the DPS and had to have "corrective lenses" put on my driver's license. :( So then the hunt began for comfortable, not too hideous glasses. Sigh.

7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I know this sounds absurd, Lois... but I have cataracts beginning and I can't wait for them to get bad enough for the surgery. :D

Lois Winters likes this.
  8. Lois Winters

Lois Winters Veteran Member
    Registered

I was the same way, Beth.

9. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow ..I am glad to know I am not the only one that had issues with glasses. Three years ago got a wire frame that makes my ears itch and hurts my nose. Asap will get exam and some new ones..plastic;)

Lois Winters and Beth Gallagher like this.
  10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

These replies make me feel better. I thought I was a whiney weirdo but apparently there's a lot of us. :D

11. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I've known a lot of people who replaced their glasses with contacts but the idea of putting those things in my eyes and having to dig them out at night just kind of creeped me out. Besides, I have worn glasses since I was about ten so I'm not only well used to them but I kind of like picking out a new pair every couple of years.

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I don't have any problem wearing contacts; I just don't like all the "fiddling" with keeping them clean, using wetting solution, etc. Too much upkeep. I even tried the daily wear type that you just throw out at the end of the day, but they are so thin that they fold over on themselves when you're trying to get them in your eye. I still have several pairs of contacts but I just don't like them.

13. Al Amoling

Al Amoling Veteran Member
    Registered

MY problem is that my head is a little on the large side is I have to try on several frames until I get the right ones. One year I ended up buying Versace sun glasses. That worked for a few years until ophthalmologist said that the size of the lens doesn't give optimum view.

14. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

These are my new prescription reading specs I got in October. Again after a big hunt for lighter thinner frames sans nose pads I had to end up with the same old full frame smooth nosed frames. Only difference with these is that it's a bit of a change of colour for me. I usually tend to stick with shades of red.. but these are air-force blue on the front and emerald green on the reverse as you can see ..and they cost £££'s

[​IMG] [​IMG]

15. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher I could never wear anything but the plastic frames with a molded fixed bridge. I have my best vision with my latest large lens glasses, but not my best look. The smaller lens looks best but requires a lot more head movement which is hard with all the titanium in my neck. I have only worn progressive lens, so they are no problem. I feel your aggravation trying to find the perfect frame. My favorite frame is the Maui Jim Starfish and I have them in prescription, but they only come in sunglasses, no clear lens. I tried those frameless things and just couldn't keep them fitting comfortably. I had the option when my cataracts were removed to get permanent progressive lens put in, but I like the idea of wearing glasses as stuff is always getting in my eyes. Every time I clean my glasses (several times a day) I wish I had gotten the implant lens. Have you ever figured out where the stuff comes from that clouds the inside of lens? I mean I am sitting here doing computer and it is like nasty stuff is jumping off my eyes and getting on the lens, even if I am not wearing any makeup. Good luck with finding the perfect frame. You look great in the ones in your profile.