I Have Started A Book And Need Help And Suggestions

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Lon Tanner, Jan 28, 2020.

1. Lon Tanner

Lon Tanner Supreme Member
    Registered

All the material that I have read regarding Assisted Living was written by owners/operators/employees but nothing by residents actually living in Assisted Living. I would hope that such a book could be beneficial to seniors who themselves someday will be living in AL. Here is the beginning.

LIVING IN ASSISTED LIVING -- A RESIDENTS PERSPECTIVE by Lon Tanner

Since my moving into the Oakmont Assisted Living/Memory Care/Alzheimer’s facility two years ago I have had to go through a substantial learning experience. I made the arrangement my self instead of everything being decided on by a CARE TAKER/Friend/Family Member which is the usual scenario. I live in a very comfortable one bedroom/one bath/living room/kitchenette apartment on the second floor of a two floor facility. I am fortunate to have retained some degree of computer and technology experience which has made my life easier and more comfortable and will be discussed in another chapter.

2. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Lon, I suggest that you tell about the residents and staff and your interactions with them. Make it about them as well as you. If something happened that you found funny, tell about it. If something happened that made you cry (Sad) include that, too. Try to include conversations as best you remember them. That always adds interest to a story, I think.
    You have posted some interesting threads here. Look back at them and maybe include them in your book.

Bess Barber likes this.
  3. Lon Tanner

Registered

I appreciate your input Shirley and will relate things about residents & staff. My job is made more difficult by my severe hearing loss.

4. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I forgot that, Lon. If you can't always hear all the conversations, add dialog that you think might have been said. It will be pretty close to accurate, anyway.

5. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

You can also include a wonderful food chapter. :D

Frank Sanoica and Shirley Martin like this.
  6. Lon Tanner

Registered

7. Lon Tanner

Registered

8. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Good idea, Lon. We were asked by the management of my company to write such a handout for new employees telling them what's what and where's where, so to speak. They thought it was helpful. I'd also prefer a blog to a book for it's easier to write. It can then easily be printed out and handed out.
    I don't want to sound like a real smartass (which in fact I am) but I think you should either go for "a resident's perspective" or "a resident perspective" to be on the safe side. ;)

9. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

@Lon Tanner I click on the link and was show a sign-in page for bloggers, is this correct?

10. Thomas Stearn

Thomas Stearn Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, it seems to be the same here.

11. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

12. Lon Tanner

Registered

I am doing a series of Blogs instead.

Bess Barber likes this.
  13. Bess Barber

Task Force Registered

The link you posted above doesn't work. It just says I don't have an account. Will you post a current link when you get any of the blogs completed?
    I would like to send it to my dad. :)

14. Lon Tanner

Registered

[ATTAC
    LIVING IN ASSISTED LIVING -- A RESIDENTS PERSPECTIVE by Lon Tanner

Prologue--

Preparing For Assisted Living—

If you are now in your 50’s /60’s you stand a excellent chance of requiring some kind of Assisted Living in your later years. Why take the chance of having to sell your home and liquidate your assets and income.

The best thing you could do would be to buy a Long Term Care Policy through your employer if available, or independently on your own. Having such insurance will help preserve your assets and income. Such insurance is expensive, but considerably less so if purchased in your 50’s & 60’s.

My Moving Here--

Since my moving into the Oakmont Assisted Living/Memory Care/Alzheimer’s facility two years ago I have had to go through a substantial learning experience. I made the arrangement my self instead of everything being decided on by a CARE TAKER/Friend/Family Member which is the usual scenario. I live in a very comfortable one bedroom/one bath/living room/kitchenette apartment on the second floor of a two floor facility. I am fortunate to have retained some degree of computer and technology experience which has made my life easier and more comfortable and will be discussed in another Blog

Health/Mobility

Like most of the residents, I am living here because of health issues that create symptoms requiring some degree of assistance. Many of the residents have some degree of hearing loss and wear one or more hearing aids My hearing loss is severe and makes certain social interaction difficult if not impossible.I cannot hear music and sorely miss it. Two of my medical conditions make it necessary to use a walker. A cane would be nice but balance difficulty requires a walker. Many of the residents use walkers and some wheel chairs, electrical and mechanical. I some times think we could use a traffic cop to direct walker and wheel chair movement in hallways and elevator. I am envious of some of the 90 year olds that are very mobile.

I voluntarialy gave up driving the year prior to moving here due to Peripheral Neuropathy affecting my legs. I started using Uber for my appointments until discovering that my AL facility could take me to scheduled appointments.

Paying for Assisted Living-

-Living here is expensive and my monthly costs are in excess of $6,000 per month.Fortunately, my Long Term Care Insurance Policy and monthly income is more than sufficient to pay ALL my monthly living costs. Some residents have had to liquidate their assets or have family members pay.

A resident could very well outlive all their assets.

Meals and Dining at Assisted Living

Attached Files:

Von Jones likes this.
  15. Lon Tanner

Registered