I Just Heard That The Chevron Deference Doctrine Will Be Reviewed

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Don Alaska, Jul 30, 2023.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I heard on the radio that the Supreme Court has agreed to hear a case regarding Chevron Deference. I brought this up for discussion during the abortion discussion when Trump was President as the real primary target of true conservatives. It was a decision made in 1984 that basically holds that the Executive Branch is always right as long as it is reasonable. That decision has led to the explosion of power within the government, as it gives EPA, IRS, ATF, etc. almost unlimited authority. The case to be heard apparently is in regard to the ATF interpreting guns laws to bring themselves more pawer and authority. Should Chevron be overturned, it would be a blessing to all but the Deep State, as it would remove some of the power that the government has over our lives.

2. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

We shall see. One can only hope.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Yeah, I’ve been watching this. Our legislative branch argues and postures while myriad alphabet agencies write regulations with the force of the laws the legislative branch should be responsible for writing. Imagine the earthquake this would cause with firearm regulations, as just one example, if suddenly all these arcane rules and regulations issued by ATF became void. Think about the environmental rules from the EPA. It’s too much to hope, I think, that the SCOTUS would drop a nuke that big.

Bobby Cole and Don Alaska like this.
  4. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

It wouldn't automatically invalidate the regulations as far as I know, but it would put the government on an equal footing with the citizens in any lawsuit. At the moment, folks bringing suit against the EPA or ATF may have the better argument in court, but as long as the bureaucrats can present a "reasonable" case, they automatically win. I think it would have the biggest impact against the EPA and ATF, but the IRS would be affected as well. It might also put a stop to the Biden plans currently going forward to void grazing rights for ranchers on Federal land that have stood for over a century.

Thomas Windom and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

SCOTUS overturned Chevron in a 6-3 ruling today. If I understand correctly, the ruling does not prevent agencies from "clarifying" statute, but it hamstrings their enforcement powers and puts enforcement back in the judicial system.

It's a step in the right direction...

Epoch Times
    (behind a paywall)

6. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

Yahoo!!!!

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  7. Lee Brown

Lee Brown Active Member
    Registered

John Brunner likes this.
  8. Don Alaska

Task Force Registered

The Chevron decision has been a target for conservative groups for many year, almost since it was handed down. Thar single decision gave the Federal bureaucracy the ability to do almost anything it wanted, as the court said it could effectively police itself and that Federal courts had no right to rule on the case since they were not the "experts". It was the goal, much more than Roe v. Wade of conservative thinkers.

Under the new rules, both the ATF and the EPA (that was used as a punishing group by Obama) will be held in check to a greater degree. I may also prevent Federal agencies from harassing political opponents as was done by both Obama and Biden using the IRS.

9. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Supreme Member
    Registered

Can you imagine how many more judges will be necessary to handle all the lawsuits that will result. The Supreme Court has apparently already taken on more cases than it can handle this term.

Don Alaska and John Brunner like this.