I Really H A T E Going To The Doctor

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Beth Gallagher, Nov 18, 2019.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Tomorrow is my annual "wellness visit" where the doctor will order blood work and scribble the Rx renewal for my blood pressure medication. I always hate going to the doctor, especially for no good reason. I'm feeling fine, so why the heck do I have to go in?? Of course the answer is, if I don't go... no prescription renewal. So they have me over a barrel even though they insist that I NEED the medicine.

Then all those blood tests, urine tests, etc. I don't WANT to have those. I will get the same results as always; high cholesterol, blah, blah. And NO, I will not take a statin so why are we wasting time and money on this?? I'm going to ask my doctor flat out tomorrow, WHY? If I have pain or an alarming change of some kind, I'll go see about it then. This "wellness" visit is for the birds.

OK, vent over. :D

2. Tex Dennis

Tex Dennis Veteran Member
    Registered

I had 4 friends 3 of which felt the same way 1 is still with us 3 were ate up with cancer and beyond help, about 35% of the people I fish with are doctors, they made a true believer out of me as to getting checkups, sometimes back I was told the same but I got to it in time I hope

3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't Hate to go but wish I didn't need to for the same reasons BP and thyroid refills for 2020. I have been to some doctors plenty after I hit menopause and Stuff just changed in my body. I'm scheduled to go Dec 4 and Medicare will pay MD about $200.

I've developed a huge distrust for the medical/pharma world anyway.

I have been working on my own health with supplements and alternative "healers" for at least 25 yrs.....I'm 81 and feel good except for the nasty OA which is all worse from hip job and docs can't do a bloody thing....prescribe Celebrex and think about side effects, no not me.

I get no vaccines, or the other tests we're supposed to get like mams and colonoscopies.

4. Joy Martin

Registered

I count on my antioxidants to keep me cancer free. So far so good.

Just thinking, I lost 3 dear people in my life in the last few yrs, one my son in law. I bugged these people for years to take Grape Seed Extract and they all ignored my suggestions and I can't help but think they MIGHT all be alive today if they had. My daughter who was married to the man who died has been taking Grape Seed Ex for probably 10 yrs and the children now 22 and 20 probably since they were 15 yrs or so.

Curious? Do a search on Grape Seed Extract and Cancer Prevention,.

Last edited: Nov 18, 2019
    Von Jones likes this.
  5. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Agree with Beth and I'll include dentists too - the biggest 'no no' of all

6. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

Whew!:D

Beth Gallagher and Patsy Faye like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

So far I have been very lucky to have no problems with my teeth, but I do go get cleanings twice a year. So the dentist is just another necessary evil! :confused:

Patsy Faye likes this.
  8. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Oh, I have no problem seeking a doctor's help if I'm sick. I just resent having to go in when I'm NOT sick. I hope you are doing OK, Tex.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't have a problem seeing a doctor at all. But, then again, when I worked for a Senior Healthcare Company in Denver and seen elderly patients that were signed up for healthcare, it really made me a believer in a doctors care and seeing one every four months. Actually, some of these patients were sitting in a wheelchair, with their oxygen mask hanging next to their oxygen tank......smoking a cigarette! Then again, if that's the way they want to handle their health/breathing problems, it's up to them.

10. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Well, if I were in a wheelchair and on oxygen, I might feel differently. My only health concern is high blood pressure and I think a "wellness visit" is a waste of time and money.

11. Joy Martin

Registered

I saw a TON of this in the rehabs I was in for knee infection, these people did not take care of themselves in their lives and now living with oxygen.

I'm 81 and have been supplementing since my 50's.

My mom who lived to 91 and no care homes, was interested in PREVENTION when the Prevention magazine first came out about 50 yrs or so. I followed in her steps only now deeper since there is SO MUCH info to learn to be our own doctor. She avoided doctors big time unless really sick and said "they are NOT going to open me up"...when surgery was talked about.

She was very open to supplements and took many that were available in her "time"...she read that Prevention magazine like crazy. I had her on Grape Seed Extract from her mid 80's for about 5 yrs and no more colds or cold sores for this woman and her voice was so so clear from taking this antioxidant. It was cleaning and thinning her blood.

12. Joy Martin

Registered

Just thinking how much money and grief the people could avoid if they took care of themselves MORE and ate healthy and supplement as they age. We are a sick insurance society, if only people wake up MORE.

13. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Going to the doctor is much like going to a car mechanic, somehow they always find something wrong in an area that wasn't even bothering me. :D

14. Nancy Johnson

Nancy Johnson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know, I hate it too! It's worth the risk though, in my opinion, as some stuff is hard to detect without those tests. Better safe than sorry!

15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I see that this is your first post, @Nancy Johnson , and wanted to say hello, and welcome to the forum !
    There is a place for an introduction thread at the top (under notices and announcements is the introduction sub-forum), if you want to do that, and just jump right in to any of the discussions anywhere on the forum.
    If you have questions, I am a greeter, and will be glad to help out, and there is also a section full of “help questions” that answers almost all of the basic questions people ask .